D-Day Group build - Monogram 1/48 Typhoon IB

Started by Tom Cleaver · 10 · 10 years ago · Monogram 1/48 Hawker Typhoon IB
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 years, 1 month ago:

The old Monogram Typhoon, copyright 1967, though I have to recall I don't recall seeing one new in the shop with people oohing and aahing over it till 1969.

Not comparable to the Hasegawa Typhoons, but not bad. The only thing that's really wrong is the canopy is a bit big, and not shaped right in planform, but that's only noticeable if it's compared to the Hasegawa kit.

I put in some additional cockpit detail with Evergreen rod, but the fact it's all black when painted means you can get away with not doing that.

I filled in the landing lights and the gap in the upper side of the radiator intake with white glue, which dries right and obviates a need to sand things smooth in there.

As you can see, fit is still nice. I only used Mr. Surfacer 500 on the centerline seams. I did fill the area immediately behind the cockpit with putty and sand it smooth to match the rest of the fuselage, since I am not using the thick injected kit canopy but rather the nice Falcon vacuform canopy, which allows it to be closed up and still see what little is there to be seen.

It's already been painted since these photos were taken, I'll add them in tomorrow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 10 years, 1 month ago:

got that one in the collection...nice deep wheel wells...i prefer the car door [ because of the revell 1/32 sucked me in years ago ] but the rockets are worth the kit itself...a fine kit that should be built...glad you joined the group build...i'll expect to see this one in a couple days...i think we worry too much about cockpits especially at our age...so frikkin tiny in 1/48...unless you've got Yeager vision...kind of like wiring a p-47 or a zero ...might be a of waste of effort...but i've fallen victim obviously...this builds into a great little kit in the right hands...watched river Platte...secret agent man as a young pup...and Quayle much skinnier than guns of navarone

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

V nice. Looks like your going to be first inheadlines with this one. Got any markings lined up?

• Profile Photo

Here it is painted. It looks darker than it will be, with gloss over the paint - much lighter when it was all flat, and will be again.

Markings will be simple. national insignia and some letters ahead of the stripes. Lots of photos of D-Day Typhoons the first few days that didn't have all the squadron codes restored and such.

As to the rockets, the fins are all wrong - too small and they're vertical which means they couldn't be fired. So I am cutting them off and replacing them with Evergreen stock properly located.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Wow Tom that was quick work, you still have bags of time, will you be doing something else to go with it ? I've barely got started .
    N.

• Profile Photo

Man, those are sharp invasion stripes, really well done. Looks like you will be finished soon. Great progress there Tom.

• Profile Photo

Maybe a Spitfire XII of 41 Squadron on "anti-Diver" patrol - it's sitting here assembled but unpainted.

• Profile Photo

Used the 3/8" Tamiya tape, which is perfect, being 18 inches in 1/48. Paint the black first, it makes the white look temporary and worn like it should

• Profile Photo

Looks great! I'll bear it in mind when I do the stripes on the P-38.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Nice build Tom, great tip on the stripes as well.
    Simon.