D-Day Group Build Tamiya 1/35 Centaur CS Mk IV British Cruiser Tank

Started by George Williams · 19 · 10 years ago · 1/35, Centaur, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Here's my first WIP posting for this group build. The Centaur was one of the least successful of WWII, it's basically a Cromwell tank, but fitted with a duff Leyland Motors engine (rather than the Rolls Royce Meteor unit fitted to the Cromwell). Unfortunately the Leyland engine tended to vibrate itself to bits at high revs, had a lower performance and a smaller range, consequently the Centaurs were only used for training purposes. Eventually the Mk IV version, fitted with 95mm Tank Howitzer, entered combat, and were assigned to The Royal Marines Armoured Support Group, to support the Normandy landings. Their role was to stay onboard the landing craft, and knock out key enemy targets on the coast. In order to do this a spotter with binoculars on the beach helped to aim the gun by using markings on the turret of the tank. The Groups were ordered to stay on the beaches, but the Marines ignored their orders, and drove inland picking out suitable targets.

The Tamiya kit consists of seven sprues moulded in dark green, one sprue of tranparent parts, vinyl tracks and small sheet of decals giving the builder the choice of markings for to different Armoured Support Groups. I've attached pictures of the box art and the kit parts before I've done any work.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice George ,this is going to look great.
    Thanks N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Like Neil says should be good! Have you built many tanks George? A bit of a different challenge to the motorbikes, which you do so well. I'm building the Tiger 2, which is the first mudcrawler I've built in years and the change is quite refreshing. Enjoy the Centaur.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking, Gregor, it's a little different from my usual motorcycles, there are more wheels for a start, but at least it should stand up on its own!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Good choice George. Look forward to your installments. Shouldn't need to use much Alclad II or setting solution on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 1 month ago:

George, Looks like a fun project for sure- I've always very much enjoyed my deviations from AC to build "mud-crawlers". How scary it must have been to be in one of these or a standard Sherman and run into a couple of 88 gun equipped Tigers! Freaking Scary I'd say! Look forward to more in progress photos and the final build.

• Profile Photo

Progress so far; I've assembled the kit, and have attached photographs of the four main components before starting the painting. We have the turret (sorry about this one being mainly out of focus, I'll post another picture once it has received its coat of primer), the superstructure, the chassis (I'm not sure if that's the correct term!) and the wheels and sprockets. It went together with no problems at all, built as per the instructions. There are a few details to add after the painting, not to mention the crew included in the kit, namely the commander and loader. Thanks for looking.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Good work George! I'll be watching your build with great interest.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

George, all those wheels! Nice to see that people are building kits that are not there normal genre.
    Doing a fine job as well.
    Will keep watch on this.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Morning George,How's it going with your G/B project pal I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape.
    Are you going to be following the Moto GP ?
    N.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years ago:

Hi Neil, thanks for the reminder. I've attached three pictures of the Centaur in 'photographic grey', actually it's Tamiya's grey primer. I've not cemented the upper body to the chassis yet, but she's complete apart from the tracks, crew and a few small details. I'll try a little preshading (something I've not tried before), then start with the final colour, Khaki Brown No 2 (Tamiya say that their Dark Earth is a good match). A quote from the instruction sheet: 'In 1944 the British changed the colour of tanks from Khaki Brown to Olive Drab No 15. Most tanks were re-painted prior to Normandy, with the exception of the Royal Marine Armoured Support Regiment'.

I'm following Moto GP and F1. Honda seem to be doing well so far, but I'm pleased that Ducati have improved their form. It's the Chinese F1 GP this weekend in Shanghai, but there is very little interest in it here, in fact, most people don't even know it's on!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Great work George! Did you enjoy the change of subject?

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Coming together nicely, George. I used to love F1 back in the Hill/Schuemacker days, but lost interest ,when Schu became dominant and ruined it, love Moto G.P. though ,proper racing.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

Showing good progress George. I see the tracks are one piece so that should'nt hold you up. I don't think it will be an issue on this kit but sometimes it helps to leave the drive wheel & it's bracket loose to help with tension adjustment on the tracks.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years ago:

Thanks for looking, Gregor, it's a Tamiya kit, so there are no real difficulties in building it, it will be the painting and weathering that will be difficult for me.