D-Day Group Build - Tamiya Wildcat V

Started by Rick Wilkes · 51 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thank you Gregor. Hopefully when I put all those subassemblies into the fuselage, it all comes out straight & true in a fashion that allows the lower wing assembly to fit right. This is one of those times when having a third hand would be helpful...lol

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Well after a fast start, I been down with a pinched nerve in my lower back that kept me from making any progress either because of pain or pain killers. I'm finally feeling well enough to get back to it, and shot some Mr Surfacer 1000 on today. Doubt I'll have it done by the 6th, just have to see.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Don`t worry about it Rick, it can happen to any of us.
    Hope things get better soon mate.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Simon, I'm having a procedure done on the 28th that hopefully will fix me up for a year or two any way.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Rick ,I've been following your build and it's looking great,can't way to see her finished.
    N.

• Profile Photo

I've made a little more progress, after sanding out the seams, I replaced the lost rivet detail with Archer Fine Transfers rivet decals. I'll do the top later, and post more pictures when I've got the wings mated to the fuselage

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Rivets... I am not counting them.
    Looks good though Rick.

• Profile Photo

Simon, as we say here in the colonies, that was just sick..lol

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looks good - you gonna paint over them though? As it look from the pics that the underside colour has still to go on?

• Profile Photo

Hi Gregor. What you are seeing in the photo with the rivets is where I sanded back the initial coat of primer to the dark grey plastic, now that the rivets are on I will shoot another coat of primer to even it all up and protect the rivets. Once I get the wing assembly attached I will start with the invasion strips. I've tested some of the rivets I put on the BT-1 Dive-bomber I'm building and once they been over coated they stand up to masking tape quite well, fingers crossed and all..lol

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Rick! I'll be very interested to see the rivet detail after the paintwork. I always assumed the decals would go on over the paint work not under it. Either ways your Wildcat is looking really good.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Regarding cockpit color: fortunately you are doing a GM (Eastern Aircrtaft) built FM-1. Grumman-built airplanes were all Bronze Green in the cockpit, but Eastern-aircraft airplamnes (FM-1/2, TBM-1C, TBM-3) were overall interior green cockpits.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Whoops! You're lucky again. Wheel wells of Grumman-build Wildcats were light grey, but wheel wells of Eastern Aircraft FM-1/2s were interior green.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Like Gregor I'm interested in those decals, are they raised so as to show through the paint ?,N.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom, it wasn't luck it was research... 😉
    Actually I went back and forth on the color of the wheel bay on GM built Wildcats. I read very strong arguments for both Grumman Grey and Interior Green. I think it was that GM used Interior Green in the cockpit that settled it for me. The automotive background of GM, with assembly line production, one interior color made more sense for production efficiency.
    At any rate it's to late to change now..lol