D-Day Group Build – Tiger II

Started by Gregor d · 46 · 9 years ago · Airfix, D-Day, Tiger
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Thanks Al. This was my first foray into armour subject in years. The airfix kit hasn't put me off another tank in this or any scale, i've just been stymied by the tracks. I had painted all the running gear before assembly so maybe thats why the glue isn't bonding. I did try removing as much paint as possible before applying glue but...! Next time i'm going to assemble all the wheels and tracks unpainted. Having spent this much time on it i'm loath to bin it, especially since it was for the group build. However I feel the whole thing looks a bit naff given the track problem 🙁 .

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

If you are using a hot blue like Tamiya thin or Ambroid the problem is probably noy paint on the parts. There are some tracks that are made from a material that just won't respond to glue.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Well heres the next phase of my "Tiger trauma" I am going to attempt a diorama with what i've got so far. This may well end in total disaster cos i've never done one before 🙂 . So I have a base and have added some surfacing to texture it using polyfiller. I am also going to add a second tank - Airfix Churchhill Mk7 s(see pics attached), fingers crossed it doesn't do as badly wrong as the Tigger! Wish me luck I'm gonna need it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Go on Gregor, have some fun, we know that you enjoy it.
    Lets hope that it goes together better than the King Tiger.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looks like fun with road wheels on this on. You might try making a simple jig to keep them lined up.

• Profile Photo

Lets hope it is FUN! The Churchhill is an old mould Airfix so i'll post updates of the progress on this one too. I'll need to get a move on to make the deadline tho'...!

• Profile Photo

Churchill progress part 1! So far so good, but look at all the wee wheels! 44 in all, which too a while to add to the suspension, and then attach to the hull. The turrent and main armnament looks puny compared to the Tiger II.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 11 months ago:

A lot of work done, Gregor!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Fast work Gregor.
    Keep it up mate.

• Profile Photo

Looks like a kit for tiny fingers Gregor. Are you having fun yet?

• Profile Photo

So far it has been fast and fun. Dry fitting the running gear sections to the main hull is a bit ropey tho'! I'm going to see if i can get a bit more done tonight...

• Profile Photo

Bit late for updates what?! 🙂 Nevertheless I knows you all like pictures, so heres a few more. Churchill is dun minus the markings. I'm now in unfamiliar territory trying to create a dio. This is very much flying by the seat of my pants stuff, and will be last minute so heres hoping...Lets just say that part of the build will be a surprise 🙂

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

That weathering on the Churchill looks good, I'll bet the only way a Churchill could disable the King Tiger would be a lucky shot on the tracks.great work so far G.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Neil! Churchill went together better than the Tiger. Working on a dio base at the moment, which should set the scene for the two tanks. This has been inspired by a couple of photos I found on the net of King Tigers.

• Profile Photo

That Churchill looks great. Hard to believe such a difference in fire power on two tanks about the same size.
    One thing about armor dio's, if you can find a suitable place outside you have a quick diorama.