"bumping' old article?

Started by Gary Brantley · 7 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Is there any way to bump" an old article back to the current "Headlines" page? I ask because older articles from many years earlier may not have been seen by newer members of iModeler. An older article might be of interest to current membership and would never be seen by them unless they just came across it by random chance, or by digging back through a member's blog.. Would one have to redo the article for it to appear on the current Headlines? Thanks, and cheers! Gary 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Gary, unfortunately there is no way to bump an old article directly. The article listings are strictly chronological unless you are using the search function.

Now, there are some ways to get an older article more attention. For one, posting a new article and noting some of your old work can draw people to some of your older works. When they visit your blog page they can look at all of your past articles in chronological order. I do this often when members post, an I like their work.

Another way to re-feature work can be to create a series link (perhaps not the best name for it). When posting articles on a pc, I believe you still have the option to link like articles. This may not help you in every instance, but you may be able to highlight an older post this way.

All this aside, the rotating features at the bottoms of the pages are likely to show your work for people from time to time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi my friend @garybrantley!

As our friend @pb_legend wrote, there's no direct way to bump an older article to the headlines.

If it regards one of YOUR articles, how about that:

1. Go to your old article and download all pics.

2. Create a new article with the same title (maybe adding "repost" or something similar to it).

3. Copy your old text and paste it as text to your new article.

4. Add the downloaded pics.

5. Post the article.

6. Voilà! You have essentially reposted your old article, having also notified readers that this is a repost.

If the article is not yours, but you still feel that "headlines" readers might benefit from it, I see no reason why you shouldn't create a new article, which will contain the article in question as a link, writing that you feel this article is an important one, worth re-seen at the headlines (or something like that). Asking permission to post this link from the original author is something I definitely recommend (it's kind of "obligatory")

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys! I have a few articles from my very first days here at iModeler that I wouldn't mind reposting. I've been eyeing my AMTech Ta-183 lately, thinking it would be a nice, quick little build and I might post it along with another "what if" from back then. Sort of a two-fer-one article contrasting and comparing both. Gotta get that 183 done though before that can happen and right now I have three builds going. A lot of juggling for old me! 🙂

Thanks for the helpful suggestions from both of you! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Gary @garybrantley, another point to remember is to ensure the correct tags are added to your original article, by doing this someone looking for information on a particular model will find it easily on the iModeler A-Z feature. A bad example of this is Valter's excellent post in the current Headlines, unfortuately the only tag he added was 1/48, meaning you've little chance of finding his post in the future.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the additional tip George @chinesegeorge! Good idea sir! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed the tags are all-important for ease of finding related stuff. When you make tags remember just kommas, not hashtags! Add a lot of tags and the topics / articles will pop up on screen easily when someone searches for them. For instance, I added the tag nanzan to my build of the same in groups, and when searched two topics pop up, so that term is not an over-used one 🙂

So really, you might go back and tag some of your articles to make them shine! I do post in headlines, but find the groups section very useful. The function of a series of articles in headlines might be useful too (this can not be used in Groups).