iModeler update: Design evolution (spot the difference)

Started by Site Administrator · 4 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 9 years, 3 months ago:

We continue our gradual update of iModeler design elements. The following picture gives a good idea of the cumulative change to the look of the heading since December (before and after view).

However small these changes may appear, they are a part of a larger development that we hope to deliver soon, which is full mobile support (meaning comfortably using and interacting with the site on the go, from your smartphone).

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

The only difference(s) I see are the change in the font color of the word "iModeler.com" and I think that airplane may be a tad bigger(?).
    Among your proposed 'updates', I'd really like to see a way of adding pics to replies made under the headlines section. That would be a very helpful tool in many cases IMO.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Yes perhaps also in WIP tabs to be able to link a 'Reply' response directly to the original comment. Previously when you think you are doing so, your reply is added at the end of the sequence rather than as a comment to the specific point, which makes it seem disconnected and out of place.

That said, I do like the recent changes, including the addition of dioramas as a category.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Gentlemen, thank you for your input, your points have been noted. We try to deliver small improvements to the site continuously, and improving the discussion capabilities is always high on the list. As for the Headline comments, I'd add the ability to edit one's own comments as a feature we'd like having.

Rob, it's true that in the Groups, replies are added to the end of the sequence, which is reminiscent of the bulleting board sites (Britmodeler, ARC or Aeroscale come to mind) than the reply-to-reply tree one we see on for example Hyperscale. Which of the two is more convenient has always been a matter of debate. What we like about the current model is that it allows to conduct a WIP simply by adding replies to one's own original posting, thereby holding the enitre building blog in one place. This is something which would be difficult to do in a threaded discussion such as HS.

Lastly, I wouldn't underestimate the potential of using a smartphone as a iModeler camera/posting device. Some of our (particularly younger) members have already been doing this, but the functionality could be made so much better.