Photo area could be a bit wider!

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 2 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 11 years, 6 months ago:

@Admin!

I think space for content could be a bit wider, I haven't checked exactly the size but when I posted my first photos it was significantly narrower than 700 px which is the size I use when posting on Aeroscale! Bigger photos - better user experience?

On my laptop less than half the screen width is iModeler, the rest is white borders.

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 11 years, 6 months ago:

@magnusf,

This actually is a deliberate choice. At iModeler, the area best suited to showcasing photos (with high resolution and large viewing sizes) is the articles (in the Headlines tab). Give it a try and I'm sure that you will find the photo presentation excellent, as this has been one of our key choices when designing the site.

Groups, on the other side, are designed for easy discussion, where a good overview and easily readable text have been the main factors considered in the design. Yes we support photo upload also in the discussion threads, but the presentation (and limit of photos per post) are simplified compared to full-size Articles.

I can only warmly suggest to use Headlines it for your photo blogs. Also, there's no need of being shy with, for example, in-progress photos or other things would like to showcase in your "personal blog". That's exactly why support for self-publishing articles has been built into the site in the first place!

Summarizing:

• You can post photos either in Groups area or through Articles (Headlines)
    • If you do it through Articles, the presentation of your images and text will be better than if you post the same in Groups.
    • In Articles, visitors may not only comment on your work, but also rate/like it
    • Using articles allow you to build your own blog, which you can share with the world as a whole, not only individual posts.

Last but not least, Article postings participate in our monthly contest, while group postings do not 🙂
    /Martin