Problems with uploading photos

Started by George Williams · 35 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Martin @editor. Earlier this year some of us experienced problems uploading photos, particularly using Apple phones and iPads. The problem has never really gone away. The only solution for me has been to only upload one or two photos at a time, even then some drop out. Recently the problem has got worse. Tom Cleaver @tcinla and George Blair @gblair seem to be experiencing something similar.

Thanks as always for your help.

George

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks for starting this. Let’s round up the basics.

I understand that you’re using iOS (Apple) device, correct?

Is the nature of the problem that the uploads are slow but eventually succesful, or that the files got dropped from an upload batch?

What are the times required to complete/fail?

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Ps. Posting the above pics as a test: from my iPhone, mobile 4G connection, roaming abroad from my usual location, yet far away from the iM upload server which is in the US. tested a batch of 9 pics from the camera roll, which took less than 30 sec to upload. I think this should be kind of a benchmark….

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Martin...tried to load pics from my computer for an article, 12 altogether. 3 loaded in about 3-4 minutes. It took 4 attempts, finally 9 I think got loaded and I called it quits. Last post was similar. I usually put up 12-14pics, never had a problem until recently.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Martin @editor, the problem is that they don’t get accepted as a download. It’s e exactly the same problem as we reported earlier this year.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Ok. Thanks. I will check if this might be to overzealous security settings or any other sever-side limitations. Will need to contact my 2nd line support for this. Stay tuned…

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Martin (@editor).
    -I have had periodic problems uploading since the site update some months ago.
    -I take my photos using an iPhone 11. I download the photos to my computer (ASUS Gaming Computer with Intel i7 chip).
    -I then upload the photos from the computer into iModeler using the photo upload button within each post.
    -Problems:

1. I often have the upload fail, with a message in the photo section that advises me of the failure. Sometime I try uploading again, and sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I have also tried to take each photo and resize them to 1600, and, once again, sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.
    2. Once I get photos uploaded to iModeler, I sometimes lose them when I finish the article and post it to the website. I don't get any error message, the photos simply disappear when the article is saved. In my first post on the IPMS National Convention yesterday, It took an hour to upload 20 photos to iModeler, but when I posted the article, only 3 showed up in Headlines. I tried several more times to upload more photos by editing the post, and I finally managed to get a total of 8 photos in the post. I tried to add more photos today using a second article, and managed to get 20 to upload into the article, but it took an hour and several attempt. Tom (@tcinla) commented that he uploads only 4 photos at a time, posts the article, and then edits to add more photos.
    3. I have tried the same process using an Apple laptop with the same results.

As you might guess, this has become an extremely frustrating process. I have started limiting my photos on articles because the photo upload process has become so time-consuming for me. Between writing an article and getting the photos to upload, I am spending about 2 hours. Smaller update posts take less time, but posting to Headlines is a two hour process. As noted in the previous posts, the problem seems to have gotten worse in the last month or so.

I am ready to try anything that might make this process work. I am not aware of anything that I am doing anything that might be causing this, especially since I think you designed this to be a seamless, simple process. I haven't tried taking photos using a digital SLR with the photos stored on an SD card, so I don't know it that would format the photos more acceptably for upload. Let me know what you would like to try.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

That's excellent input, @gblair, I'm looking into it and will for sure ask for assistance testing. Stay tuned

• Profile Photo

OK @chinesegeorge and @gblair, I've made the first change (change A) to the security settings and I'd like to test if this brings any efffect. Would you please test if there's any improvement on you end? If possible, I'd like you use this thread to attempt uploading a bunch (ten or so) images that you've had trouble with previously.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Martin @editor, I’ve just added 14 new photos, 12 from my iPhone and 2 from my iPad to my WIP Ripped Silk Bugatti Type 35B in the automotive group, it worked perfectly.
    Thanks as always
    George

• Profile Photo

That's great news. Let's see if it goes better for @gblair, too, and of course, please let me know if there are any further problems.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here is my attempt(s) to upload photos.

Attempt 1: Tried to load 10 photos that I had trouble with yesterday. None would upload to the site. Received error message for all 10 photos.

Attempt 2: Tried the first 5 photos that had failed in attempt 1. None uploaded, error message for all 5 photos.

Attempt 3: Tried the first 4 photos that had failed in attempt 1 and 2. All loaded without problem. I then tried the 2nd 4 photos from the first attempt, and they loaded without problems. Tom (@tcinla) had remarked earlier in my post on the IPMS National Convention that he had success uploading just 4 photos at a time. This didn't work for me yesterday, but it did for this post.

In case you need them here is the upload info:
    -Photos taken with an iPhone 11
    -Photos downloaded from iPhone to an ASUS gaming computer with Windows 11
    -Photos placed in a folder located on my desktop
    -Attempted to upload to iModeler from the desktop file

Thanks, Martin (@editor)

Update: When I finished the post and clicked to upload the post and photos, only 8 of the 9 photos uploaded to the post. The screenshot that I took of the error message did not appear in the saved post. Attempting to reload it. Reloaded the missing photo (now pic9) which uploaded to the post on this last attempt.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

OK @gblair. I will PM you to ask for a few more details and, but for now:

Would you mind repeating the same test directly on your iPhone, meaning uploading pics from the device, without going through your PC?

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin (@editor)
    I think what you want me to do is to open iModeler on my phone, and then move the photos directly into the site on the phone? I have never tried it, but will give it a shot.

• Profile Photo

Here is the attempt using the phone. All 3 uploaded normally.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.