Problems with uploading photos

Started by George Williams · 35 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Martin @editor, I’ve just tried to upload some more photos to my WIP and it failed.

Just thought you should know.
    Thanks
    George

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Yes thisbis exactly what I meant. Thank you.

• Profile Photo

Hi @editor, I posted them again this morning one at a time which worked OK but it was slow going.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Martin (@editor)
    I just added a post to my Kingfisher article. I added 5 photos. I added them 1 at a time and they all uploaded fine. When When I checked the post after saving, all 5 photos appeared in the article. It was slow to upload photos one at a time, and there were only 5 photos.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Martin (@editor):

I tried taking the photos for my latest post using a camera with an SD card. I took 4 photos using a Canon Powershot, and then imported the photos from the SD card to my Windows 11 PC. I then attempted to upload the photos into my article. I first attempted to upload all 4 photos at the same time, and got the usual error message on all 4 photos. I then tried uploading the photos one at a time without any problems. I published my post and all 4 photos displayed in the post perfectly. All of the photos were JPEGs, with the first 3 photos about 740KB in size, and the last one about 815KB in size. I don't know if this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

• Profile Photo

Hi George @gblair and Martin @editor, one or two at a time seems to be the way to go at the moment.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 9 months ago:

Hi All, just to jump on the bandwagon here - I'm having the same issues today and I'm working on my iMac computer.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 months ago:

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious that iModeler has a problem working with Apple devices, @editor, @anthonyricco.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi, Martin (@editor). Just wanted to update you on the photo issue. I have started taking all of my photos with a Canon PowerShot. I transfer the photos from the SD card to my Windows laptop, then upload to iModeler. I can upload only one photo at a time or I get the failure notice. So far, once they have been uploaded to iModeler, the photos appear in the post successfully. I haven't tried posting a photo to Headlines, which was a big problem area for me. I have had times in the past when I have successfully uploaded photos for a post, but when I save the post the photos don't appear in the post. This especially happened a lot when posting to headlines. I would upload the photos, write the article, then when I saved the article, the photos would all drop out, requiring me to reload them. I have also been having a problem receiving email notifications from iModeler. I have the preferences set to get updates anytime I am mentioned, but I haven't received any notifications even though I have been mentioned in several posts. I don't think the photos and the emails are related, but just wanted you to know. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

I'm uploading from a PC, and if I try more than four at a time, the first 3-4 will fail to upload. But if I do only 4 at a time, they all upload relatively quickly.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Martin (@editor):

Quick update. I just uploaded an article to Headlines. I had 17 photos to add to the article. All were taken with my Canon PowerShot and then downloaded to a PC from the SD card. I wrote the article and uploaded the photos one-at-a-time, since I can't get more than one to upload at a time. When I clicked "Save" for the article and 17 photos, only 4 photos actually appeared in the article. I clicked "Edit" and uploaded the missing photos, but only 4 of the missing photos actually saved to the article. It took 3 more attempts to get all of the photos saved and appearing in the article. The problem appears to be much worse in Headlines than it is in Groups. I have to admit doing articles in Headlines has become extremely frustrating.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair Gentlemen,
    This is just to let you know that I've been monitoring for this problem and I'm still on it.

In general, if you have a file upload problem on the web, it could depend on one or more of the following.
    Note that this is just a general enumeration of where to look for causes, I'll discuss them in detail below.

1. It could be a problem of iModeler application not accepting, or rejecting your images for any reason.
      In other words, either a (a) bug in iModeler or (b) some problem with your files.
    2. It could be a problem with our infrastructure - the firewalls, caches or security features blocking your uploads.
    3. There could be a problem with the internet connectivity between the iModeler servers and the location where you are. Maybe narrow bandwidth or latency leading to communications being dropped.
    4. There could be a problem with your ISP (or employer, if you are at the office) intervening with your traffic. Many ISPs employ content or security filters these days, they're all meant to be non-intrusive, but sometimes you might be out of luck and one of the services you'd want to use would be black-listed. Security filters are often extra vigilant towards file uploads!

OK, so having sorted the problem field into these categories, I'll discuss them one by one judging from where we stand.

1. (a) - I'm still checking for it. Have just installed improved application logging to ensure that if there is a bug, it'll be discovered. (b) - We have checked it. It is unlikely.
    2. I'll double-check these once we're sure about 1a.
    3. This is not likely consdering that you're on fixed connection and there are two users having a similar issue.
    4. This is reasonably likely because it happened to some of our users before. For example, we've had confirmed problems with posting from China that could be traced to the country's firewall. Another time, a user's home router delivered by an ISP was causing trouble with uploads.

Of the above points, 1-2 would be solveable by me. 3-4 is solveable from the user's end. A simple way of testing your connection or ISP_related troubles is to attempt to do the same uploads from your smartphone, while not being connected to your home WiFi. If this goes differently than similar uploads from your laptop or iPad on WiFi - you should let me know.

Lastly @gblair, given my enhanced logging as of today, would you please try a few more uploads?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Martin (@editor): Thanks for continuing to sort this out. Here is my current status:
    -If I am posting to a group, photos work fine as long as I only try to upload no more than two at a time. If I try to load more than two, they all fail to upload. Once they are uploaded, the post and photos save correctly.
    -I haven't tried to upload to Headlines since last week when I had a horrible time getting the photos to upload. In Headlines, I can get a large number (for instance 20 photos) to upload to iModeler one at a time. When I save/post the article, many of the photos disappear and don't appear in the article. Last week, I successfully uploaded 17 photos, but when I saved/posted the article only 4 appeared. I finally got most of the photos into the article, but it took several more attempts to get them all to appear in the article. I doesn't seem to matter if the photos are taken using my Canon Powershot or my iPhone when uploading to Headlines. I have problems with both. This has not happened when I post in Groups. There, once they are uploaded they appear in the post without dropping any photos.
    -I have been using photos only from my Canon PowerShot the last few weeks. A couple of days ago I tried using a few photos from my iPhone for a post in Groups, and they saved without problem. My iPhone is much more convenient to use, so I will gradually try to shift my photos there.
    -I am retired, so I don't think I have any workplace issues. Maybe my wife is checking up on me? :o)

Thanks again for working on this. The problem with upload and dropped photos in Headlines can be very frustrating, so any help is appreciated.
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Martin (@editor): Another quick update. I posted an update to my build at the Sullivan Group. I wanted to try using my iPhone instead of my PowerShot. I had 10 photos from my iPhone, uploaded to my PC. I tried uploading two photos to iModeler, and I got the failure message on both photos. I then tried uploading just one photo, which uploaded perfectly. After that, I was able to successfully upload two photos at a time. Once all 10 were uploaded I was able to add them to the post and then save the post. Still haven't tried Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Hello @gblair, @tcinla, @chinesegeorge.
    Still chasing those upload problems. Today I have deployed a system update which greatly enhances logging of the upload process. This should hopefully allow me to narrow down the root cause of your troubles. Logging is essential means in this work as I'm not able to replicate your problem from here.

I'd be grateful if you could respond by posting a few of your (ordinary) pictures in a reply to this post. Thank you for you cooperation and patience.