1/72 Hasegawa Macross Thunderseeker VE-11R

Started by Aaron Newlands · 5 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Aaron Newlands said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hasegawa have been making kits from the anime series Macross for some time now. They are overall decent Hasegawa quality. But a bit of a amazing fit followed by only a ok fit. Not up to Bandai standard but still fun. The VE-11 was a armed recon fighter. Essentially you have the standard fighter. Then the Super variant with boosters and more missiles, then the AWAC's built upon the super. This is great for Hasegawa as they can release 3 kits basically. I used their decals as well as some from left over decal sheets. Paint scheme is my own and not one based on the series. Which is often base colours. In the early days that was to help with the speed of creating the animation as there wasn't much if any computer assistance.

Finished the other week but not built specifically for the group.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for posting this on the group, Aaron. It’s great to have a diverse spread of model builds and this Thunderseeker is superb!

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. The Macross kits are cool as they are Sci-Fi but still feel they could be real. In the series they take off from Aircraft Carriers in Space. Complete with blast shields and deck crew. If they played Danger Zone it wouldn't be out of place.

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I love the subtle weathering in the surfacing work. Just enough to keep the peace with Robotech toon-shading purists, but also enough to offer it some real-world aesthetic appeal. Nice balancing.

Now for the SDF-1 to round out the diorama. December 2019 is a bit off so starting right away would be highly recommended. Seriously, I'd check in daily to monitor the progress and cheer loudly the whole time. Seriously! Wait... now that's a strange look on your face. Why are you laughing? It's not like I was suggesting this in 1:32 scale. That would be insane. 😀

• Profile Photo

@cybergolem they just annouced a 1/20's Valkyrie. The thing is close to 450.00 and a massive monster of a kit.

Thank you for the kind words on my build.