Bullitt Mustang

Started by Matt Minnichsoffer · 38 · 4 years ago · 1968 Mustang GT, At the Movies group build, Bullitt
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Alright Gang,
    So I finally started. After many days of trying to find the right paint for the Bullitt, I settled on Scale Finishes. Placed the order today. Seriously, there is a huge internet fight going on between the US Gravity Colors & the UK Gravity Colors. Both claim to be the best car model paints out there.

I didn't want any piece of that, just wan't paint. From what I read online, ScaleFinishes.com is a solid company and their colors are spot on.

In the mean time I thought I'd post the "Heart of the Legend". Here is the power plant for my Bullitt. Plus, those signature American Racing rims.

You wouldn't believe how much I labored over the right color metallic gray for the inner rims. Finally settled on a mix of gunmetal gray & steel. They work. I think in photos the inner rims look darker because they spin against the darker brake rotors and drums.

Sorry for the poor image quality. As I wait for the paint to show up, I'll be moving on to the under carriage. Stay cool.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 1 month ago:

So, I'm real close to posting progress builds of this iconic car (if anyone cares) but in the meantime, here's a poster I created.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Fantastic! Just fantastic.

• Profile Photo

You're always my hero David. Thanks for responding.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I like the colors you picked out for the 390 V-8 and the 4 speed... It looks spot on ! The wheels and tires turned out fantastic too.

How do you guys make these killer posters ?

Please continue to post up your progress on this one... I've been watching, but have not always been able to reply as I should.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo

Posters for sale in the lobby as you leave the theater.

• Profile Photo

Bullitt is coming along. Here is a shot of the finished interior.

The exterior painted with ScaleFinishes.com 1968 Ford Highland Green. These paints go down super nice and the metal flake is very small so it's to scale. I used their gloss enamel but will sand it a bit and add gloss clear. It's tempting to leave it a little on the dull side like it was in the movie, but I want to see how shiny I can get it.

• Profile Photo

Excellent work. Getting a lot of love on this thread, Matt. That colour is just beautifully done and it looks so authentic.

Ok, interesting Bullitt fact one...

The director called for speeds of about 75-80 mph in the chase scenes, but the cars (including the ones containing the cameras) actually reached speeds of over 110 mph.

Filming of the chase scene took three weeks, resulting in 9 minutes and 42 seconds of footage - they were denied permission to film on the Golden Gate Bridge.

More facts soon...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Even back then, the GG Bridge would not have been something they could have done, with the traffic back then - a third of what it is now!

I still love watching them go past the same green VW bug three times as they "drive" down Post Street. The route of the physical "chase" is not actually physically possible, geographically. (Like the way a chase would start in "Streets of San Francisco" in North Beach, turn a corner and be in the Mission District, then run through the Haight-Ashbury and end up out at the Presidio. People who lived in San Francisco at the time used to love watching the show and figuring out the chases)

What's even more amazing (they would laugh you out of the room today if you asked to do it) is the chase at San Francisco International. Those airliners are really out there operating and taking off while they are filming that.

• Profile Photo

Yes. I need to get a life...but here goes. To movie geeks everywhere (thanks to CitySleuth)

• Profile Photo

Just a note on paint. The Scalefinishes are really nice, but I am now dealing with a bit of a rough surface. Not sure why they aren’t smooth. Maybe my air pressure was too hig/ too low? Anyway, wondering if anyone has a good ideal on polishing compounds that won’t take up too much paint?

• Profile Photo

BTW - love the storyboard of the chase David.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Matt. Give tooth paste a try. You might want to think about spraying a clear coat on top of the green and then polishing out the clear. It just might save you from breaking through the green into the plastic underneath.

Hope this works for you and please keep us posted. The green color looks spot on

David thanks for posting this step by step breakdown of the chase scene and how it was done.

• Profile Photo

So I broke down and bought some fine scale sanding clothes and gave Bullitt a good 4000 grit wet sanding. After which I polished it with Bare Metal canopy polish and then a final shine with Turtle Wax Ice automotive car wax. I don't go this this much work on my real cars…I think it's ready for the bare metal trim now.

• Profile Photo

I love this thread.