”Das Boot” U-96 in 1/72 scale.

• 8 posts
  • Last reply 9 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts
  • John Healy said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

It’s time for me to do another nautical subject. The last one was the USS Maryland in 2015. Thanks for the invite!

• david leigh-smith said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

John, you are absolutely welcome and it’s a pleasure and privilege to have you and your skills on board. I was hoping someone would pick this!

• John Healy said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yes, David. The ASW Whitley I’m working on got me thinking about U-boats. I have a nice Revell Type VII in the stash that needs to be built and this is the perfect opportunity.

• david leigh-smith said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is a great idea for a project and like others in the group with other projects, I now need to rewatch the movie, lights off, and sound cranked up.

The photos below are the actual mock ups of the U96 used in the film; gives an idea of the conditions these guys faced even without the added tension of battle conditions…

• Peter Hausamann said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Ooo! A u-boat. Sensational.
    Yes, they are just like tinned sardines.
    Nice to see you doing a boat for a change. Are you also considering doing a diorama for a change?

• Peter Hausamann said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here is a simple diorama suggestion: place the corvette on a glass shelf above the submarine.
    If you have a display cabinet with glass shelves, that makes it even simplier.

• Paul Barber said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

So glad someone did this. The film/series are genius. This is going to be great!

• John Healy said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well, the original plan was to do this in 1/144, thinking that I had the appropriate u-boat in the stash. Naturally, I was wrong. The standard type VII boat in 1/144 is now very difficult to find. This left me with two options. Do the model in 1/350 or 1/72. Of course, I chose 1/72! This is the Revell type VII with an Airfix 1/72 Blenheim next to it to show scale. Also in the photo is a decal set with the appropriate markings for U-96, Das Boot.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts