”Das Boot” U-96 in 1/72 scale.

Started by John Healy · 36 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 6 months ago:

It's time for me to do another nautical subject. The last one was the USS Maryland in 2015. Thanks for the invite!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

John, you are absolutely welcome and it’s a pleasure and privilege to have you and your skills on board. I was hoping someone would pick this!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes, David. The ASW Whitley I'm working on got me thinking about U-boats. I have a nice Revell Type VII in the stash that needs to be built and this is the perfect opportunity.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This is a great idea for a project and like others in the group with other projects, I now need to rewatch the movie, lights off, and sound cranked up.

The photos below are the actual mock ups of the U96 used in the film; gives an idea of the conditions these guys faced even without the added tension of battle conditions...

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Ooo! A u-boat. Sensational.
    Yes, they are just like tinned sardines.
    Nice to see you doing a boat for a change. Are you also considering doing a diorama for a change?

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Here is a simple diorama suggestion: place the corvette on a glass shelf above the submarine.
    If you have a display cabinet with glass shelves, that makes it even simplier.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

So glad someone did this. The film/series are genius. This is going to be great!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Well, the original plan was to do this in 1/144, thinking that I had the appropriate u-boat in the stash. Naturally, I was wrong. The standard type VII boat in 1/144 is now very difficult to find. This left me with two options. Do the model in 1/350 or 1/72. Of course, I chose 1/72! This is the Revell type VII with an Airfix 1/72 Blenheim next to it to show scale. Also in the photo is a decal set with the appropriate markings for U-96, Das Boot.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Wow! I can’t believe this GB started a year ago. Now that I’ve got the MiG done, it’s time to dive into Das Boot. Here’s proof that I’m still here...she’ll be done by the deadline. I’m also going to do some 1/72 ASW planes to go with the Whitley.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I’ve got some work done on the conning tower and prop shaft housings. This is a pretty simple kit and I should be able to start painting the hull this weekend. It measures 36” long. Revell also makes the larger Type IX and an American Gato class boat. I’d love to see size comparisons between all three.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Groves said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Here's two of the three, along with a 688, all to 1/72 scale at the Cincinnati IPMS show.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 4 months ago:

"Alarm!" Nice choice, I don't care how big a sub might be, you wouldn't get me to serve in one. I was in a Los Angeles class boat a while back, it's still to small for me.

• Profile Photo

Wow, the Gato dwarfs the type VII!

• Profile Photo

Assembly is moving right along now... The paints shown will provide the basic colors.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The decks and lower hull colors have been applied. I’ll mask and airbrush Humbrol light ghost grey on the conning tower and upper hull next. Then it’ll be time to assemble the conning tower and weather the boat.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.