Thanks for the invite - Ice Station Zebra for me

Started by Michael Paquette · 8 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I had gotten an old Revell 'History Makers' kit of the USS Nautilus with the idea of making it up as the USS Tigerfish from the movie 'Ice Station Zebra' with Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine, Patrick McGoohan and Jim Brown. Now I've got a reason to do it with a deadline.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Another brilliant choice! Eerie cold war sub build! This GB my end up generating a lot of trade for Amazon and Netflix! There may well be a few of us binge watching our way through the list. Although in this case I may go for the book - which I have never read!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I never read the book either but I believe the submarine in the book was described as more of a 'Skipjack' class of boat. I've got the old Monogram/Aurora Skipjack model too so maybe I can do a companion display.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Michael, c’est fantastique!

I remember watching this as a kid and getting freaked out at the sub breaking through the ice for some reason, don’t know why it provoked such a reaction.

I’m really delighted to have you on board and as Paul said it’s a brilliant choice. He’s also right that I should be on a commission for Netflix and Amazon...

Merci, mon ami,

David

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent choice Michael! Great movie the book was one of Alistair Macleans best!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice idea! I remember that movie well, cold war intrigue.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Commander Ferraday; “We operate on a first-name basis. My first name is Captain“.

Brilliant.

@roofrat

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

The submarine in Ice Station Zebra is actually USS Blackfin (SS-322) a GUPPY conversion of a Balao class diesel-electric fleet submarine, with the "North Atlantic" sail. Blackfin was used for the "surface" shots.

The underwater shots are actually Aurora USS Nautilus plastic models, so your choice of that kit to portray the submarine is good for portraying the mockups. The Revell Nautilus and the Aurora kit are very different in hull shape, with the Aurora kit being far more accurate for the real shape, which was highly classified when Revell did their "fantasy" Nautilus - which I remember building several of when I was a kid who had no knowledge of the word "accuracy" as applied to plastic models.

I did a 1/350 model of Blackfin with a scratchbuilt sail - here's photos.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.