Kelly’s Heroes 1/35th scale M4A3 Sherman and Friends

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 110 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

As Jeff ‘the lurker and peeker’ says, this project is amazing. My apologies for lack of support recently, but the silver lining of that cloud is that I get to ‘binge watch’ your progress. A pleasure to read, Chuck.

@uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Why thank you, D-L, the truth of the matter is that I knew you were around. No apologies, it's all good. Just happy that your still a viable part of our little group.

• Profile Photo

Back to the Deuce, some final detail parts on the frame and start working on the front fenders.

The rear axle torsion bars are installed.

Now some body work, starting with the front fenders engine compartment.

First I paint the lower section Mission Olive Drab. When dry attach the fenders to the frame.

Next to install the driveshaft from transmission to transfer case. The exhaust system is painted rust, and installed along the frame rail and will exit just in front of the first set of wheels on LH side.

16 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now an update on the Jeep. First up is installing the full frame to the body. A bit of rust, and dirty washes are applied to show grime and leaks. As well as some silver pencil.

Next to work on the seats.

Starting with the 2 piece back seat. Painted OD framing with Khaki Drab cushions.

Next the front bucket seats are assembled and painted the mentioned colors. Under the passenger seat is the roof canvas cover. Painted a faided OD, with a darker shade of OD on the straps.

All 3 seats assemled.

Next is to attach the brake master cylinder. Painted steel.

The front bucket seats are installed.

Finally the cowl panel and instrument panel, painted and gauges detailed. Next up to finish installing the details on the body. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Awesome detail work, as usual! I can just " Burning Bridges" playing in the back round.

• Profile Photo

Thats a good one Robert, you mentioned as it is one of the songs on my play list while working in the shop.

• Profile Photo

Next up on the M-19 halftrack, step 4, details on the frame. Dragon gets into heavy detail here. Not just the basic components. But even the shackles, brackets and suspension parts are all here.

Starting with the top half of the trans and transfer case. Then attached to the lower half molded into the frame.

The front leaf springs are well molded with each leaf defined very well on each front spring assy. Shackles easily have positive locations points on the frame.

Next the steering gear box is attached to the LH outer frame rail.

27 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finishing up on the turret.

Adding the commander's cupola and hatch, Will display this open. If i have time I may drill out the windows and add clear to make them more detailed in appearance.

With the basic turret completed. Just add the pintle mount and .50 cal is all that is left. And add some cargo. Next is to attach the turret and paint the tank OD.

Next is to assemble the spare track racks that attach to the rear deck on the hull. A set on each end of the rear panel are attached to the hull.

Next the kit provided tracks are the vinyl steel moulded type. The ends are tethered and slowly feed around the road wheels and bogies into place.

Finally to end this session the exhaust pipes are attached under the rear deck.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Comin' along nicely - thank you for taking the time to share this build. It is set to be an impressive dio when you get there. Enjoying the ride.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Erik, the fun part is taking each step and try to note any hiccups along the way. And my way in overcoming them. Some minor and part of the build, then there are the ones that can be of my own making or just have been noted by other modelers in their reviews.

• Profile Photo

Now to start work on the cab of the GMC 6x6.

Starting with the floor of the cab.

Steering column and brace

First to attach the steering column support brace to firewall. Then place the column into the brace and the lower end of the column into the floor.

Now the levers, shifter, E-brake handle and 2 speed transfer case levers.

The levers are then put in their appropriate locations on the floor.

Next to work on the cab roof/hood section.

This version is the hard roof variant of the GMC cargo truck. Other versions had the rag top. The instrument panel has just enough detail to enhance.

First I attach it too the cab cowl. At this point I paint the interior and cab floor Tamiya Olive Drab. I also detailed the dash panel with black and silver paint, as well as silver pencil.

Next the seat is next to be installed. I painted it Mission Models Khaki Drab.

The seat is attached in place. At this time I also painted the knobs of the shifters semi gloss black. And again with silver pencil highlighted foot traffic on the floor.

The steering wheel is painted black and attached to the column.

next up to finish assembling the cab. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck,

This is great stuff. I’ve been watch this WIP for months, but haven’t commented much. Excited to see it all come together.

• Profile Photo

Back to the Jeep. This step to install more details around the body and engine compartment.

First installing the instrument panel/cowl assy.

Now more details in the engine compartment and around the rear body.

First starting with the air cleaner, air intake tube, battery and top of the radiator is all in one piece which attaches to the top of the engine. With this 1 piece, it really enhances the engine compartment. Not bad for making the engine compartment look rather busy.

Next the front bumper face bar is installed.

The LH/RH rear corner tie downs are attached to each rear corner of the body. As well as the spare tire mount bracket. Also the trailer hitch pintle.

The top bows are installed in the stowed position around the rear upper edge of stowage compartment.

The jerry can is assembled

Finally the wheels are temporarily attached to the front and rear diffs.

More to follow

• Profile Photo

Thanks Matt, getting closer to getting each vehicle together. Fun stuff, just these 4 ground pounders are the most armored vehicles I have built in 20 years, the other 4 are 2 Hummers, a MAN 5 ton truck and a Panzer L/70 Lang Pzkw IV tank. And one 72nd scale Dodge WC51 Beep.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 2 months ago:

You are the man, Chuck. Ride those positive waves, baby!