Mondoshawan (The 5th Element)

Started by Tommy Killander · 19 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tommy Killander said 4 years, 7 months ago:

So I'm finally doing something related to a movie - so I can post something in this group. Wohooo ! 🙂

I bought an Anycubic Photon 3D printer a while ago and I stumbled on this beautiful 3D model on Thingiverse... I rescaled the model to fit on the build plate and started to churn out the parts, it had to run a couple of night and after some trial-n-error I got these resin parts out of the printer.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

This is awesome. Big fan of that movie. One question, what was you decision in purchasing that particular printer?

• Profile Photo

It was a combination of price, availability and a couple of modelling friends had just bought the Anycubic Photon and recommended it.
    It also seems to be one of the most common machines out there (in this price range), so there are lot's of information and mods available.

• Profile Photo

The figure have been primed with Black (Ultimate/Stynylrez) Primer.

Arms are painted with a mix of Gunze Silver and Steel thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner

...and the arms are masked

Cheers!
    Tommy

• Profile Photo

Next step was to paint the "gold" metallic tones. I'm used a mix of Metallic Brown and Gold Leaf thinned in Mr Color Levelling Thinner (MLT). I added more Gold Leaf for the highlights.

After removing the masking tape I drybrushed some highlights and random scratches using Gunze Gold

And I used Orange Clear for the eyes and Red and Blue Clear for the "lamps" on the body

After that everything was coated with GX-100 clear coat thinned with MLT

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 7 months ago:

This is fantastic. We learn, we appreciate, and we salute you, Tommy.

‘Time is not important - only life is important’

@killboxscalemodelling

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

The fidelity on the printer is amazing! The curved surfaces look perfect. This is how they came out of the Photon, with no prep work? Nice work on nailing the color!
    "Aziz, LIGHT! Thank you, much better Aziz."

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 7 months ago:

"Baadabum" "yeah big badabum" Iconic movie, excellent choice of model! Is the print just that - no sanding? looks like the printer did a fine job. (sorry about the choice of quote - all the good ones from the scene was taken..)

• Profile Photo

"Multipass?" 😀
    Yeah, there are lot's of memorable quotes.
    And Gary Oldman makes one of the best performances IMO in his career in that movie.

There is no prep work, part from removing the supports and sanding down the connection points.
    However, if you look closely there are some noticable layer lines, and the object shifted (probably due to weak supports) during the print so there are some issues down at the knees. But since the torso and shoulders looks OK so I didn't make another print.

Right now I'm at the weathering stage.

Cheers
    /Tommy

• Profile Photo

Okay...

I have finished the weathering and sealed that with a glosscoat (GX-100 thinned with MLT)

After that I masked the eyes and the lights

After some flat coat (GX-113 + MLT) I could remove the masks again

And the figure is finished

...but I thought that the figure needed something to stand on, so I decided to build a small base

I'm using a piece of scrap 10mm MDF board and some sheet styrene, that I glue together

I also made a pillar from styrofoam (cutting it with a hobby knife and sanding it into shape)

The 3D printer is making an Element Stone right now, it will be finished tomorrow morning 🙂

Cheers
    /Tommy

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 7 months ago:

GR8 idea to build a base - looking forward to discover the choice of stone!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik!

The first print failed, but I adjusted the support and did a new attempt; and that worked fine 🙂

The "floor plan" I have in mind looks like this:

I used Acrylic Gesso and sand to get a texture on the tiles

And I primed it with yellow primer - and it got VERY yellow 😀

So I had to start adding other colour tones and washes to get some variation...

I soaked the base in water to be able to blend the clay-washes better

After the water evaporated I sealed it with Gunze GX-113 flat-coat

And with that the vignette is finished!

I will setup my DSLR and take better photos tomorrow 🙂

Stay Tuned!
    /Tommy

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Impressive!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Tommy, bringing some much deserved attention to this beautiful project.

I hope you’ve managed to finish the base (looks stunning) and I’t be great to see some more photos.

Deep respect.

@killboxscalemodelling

• Profile Photo
    Tommy Killander said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Yes, it's finished, sorry I forgot to post a link to the reveal photos 🙂

The Mondoshawan
    @david leigh-smith Cheers Tommy