Never Surrender: WWII in the Movies

Started by Michael E Rieth · 3 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

WWII movies is a subset of iModeler at the Movies, so I thought you may be interested in this series of 75 WWII movies honoring the 75th Anniversary of D-Day on TMC (Turner Classic Movies) in May and June. The intros were done with historians at The National World War II Museum.

http://www.tcm.com/wwii

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

As a war historian and a serious movie buff, let me list the ones you really don't want to miss:

May 16: Hollywood Canteen - the Benny Goodman orchestra doing "Swing Swing Swing" while riding in jeeps.

May 30: Best Years of Our Lives - need I say more?

May 30: Hail The Conquering Hero. Preston Sturges at his absolute best, writing and directing. Funny funny funny

June 6: Dunkirk and Battle of Britain for sure. In Which We Serve written by and starring Noel Coward. Richard Attenborough makes his first screen appearance. "Attack" - very controversial when it came out because the enemy was an American officer. Eddie Albert's favorite Eddie Albert movie (he plays the enemy) "I was a serving officer in World War II and this was the first war script I'd read where things were as I remembered them." (Don't laugh at the "tanks" - they had a budget)

June 13: Tora Tora Tora; Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo; Destination Tokyo; They Were Expendable.

June 20: Great Escape; Bridge on the River Kwai; Guns of Navarone.

June 27: Sahara; Wings of Eagles (the story of Spig Wead, the best aviation screenwriter ever);

They're all interesting but if you can't watch 'em all without SWMBO chasing you with a rolling pin, watch these.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Michael. More on there than I’d thought that I’d never seen.

@tcinla “watch ’em all without SWMBO chasing you with a rolling pin” - you are a quote machine these days. “Can’t you turn the volume down?” - “um...it’s a WAR movie...”

Thanks for these posts, going to have to start a movie spreadsheet.