The Bridge on the River Kwai

Started by Peter Hausamann · 186 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter @tecko, Just an observation. The 'metal joiners' or splice collars would be a different elevations for one reason that comes to mind. The left side tower appears to be founded at a deeper depth than the right tower and since the wood columns are limited to a maximum length, between 9 and 12 meters , the joints will not match from left to right. From a purely engineering stand point this is not good practice, but it will work. The key is to make the cross brace truss sections be at or as close as possible to the same elevation. Attached are a few photos of what I do for work. I'm in the helicopter in the second photo, taking pictures from the air of the lift and setting of the structure.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thank you James @jamesb for that explanation. I guessed it depended on the first piers being placed into the ground, but did not know that they are limited by length. I thought it was to do about thickness of tapered tree trunks.

Can understand the workable but not good practice bit. After all, once the bridge got built they blow it up. A closer look at the joints also show poor but doable practice as well.

You can see on the right side, the cofferdam for dropping the piers into deeper section of river.
    On the left side, the piers are simply placed in concrete blocks. They must have built the bridge during the drier season.
    For those not knowing what a cofferdam is:

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

A truly fascinating build log.

• Profile Photo

Peter @tecko, Good point about the tapering of the trees. This is kind of why I suggested those dimensions for the logs, that and an educated guess of length based on the photos. Now I will have to re-watch the movie. Not sure if they had the capabilities or equipment to build coffer dams. I know it is possible with limited equipment and manual labor, but it would take a long time. This brings up another movie involving a bridge, 'Ghost in the Darkness'. More a tale of human versus animal but still and gripping movie with a bridge being constructed. Cheers!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

James @jamesb, the Ghost and the Darkness is a strange movie. A pair of psychopathic serial killer lions working in pairs. Perhaps 'Legion' went into them like the 2,000 pigs of Gerasenes.

Anyway, the movie bridge, Kitulgala Bridge over Kelina River in Sri Lanka (Ceylon), was built in 1957. As the above photo shows, they used a cofferdam. The real bridge was not on the River Kwai but River Mae Klong in 1942-43. They did not use cofferdams. The piers were rammed into the base with a heavy weight. This weight was hoisted up by rope. The POWs had to pull up the weight and drop it on the pier. Then repeated this action all day, every day, for several months.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-battles/ww2/kwai.htm

• Profile Photo

Ah yes Peter @tecko, driven piles. This could also be the difference in the elevation of the splice collars. They would stop driving the piles once they reached enough resistance to the weight of the driving weight, then cut the piles at a elevation where the wood was structurally sound. Makes since. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Profile Photo

Thanks James @jamesb. Just to let you know, I won't show the collars on the model. Observers of the model would not know what they are. However I am tapering the main piers.

Below: Drilled holes for anchoring the uprights (piers). No cofferdams or pile driving here 🙂
    Cut the 4 and 6 mm dowel with a Stanley Knife. I cut partly through and then break remaining fibres by slight repetitive bends. Top middle photo show a tapered 4 mm pier. It does not look like much. I believe that an overall build with tapered dowels will look more like tree trunks and more authentic.

No lathe here. Simple process of sanding the dowel down with coarse sandpaper. It really does not take long to sand one down. Though I have another 49 to go.

• Profile Photo

Looking good so far Peter!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Looking superb so far. It’s the combination of engineering, modeling skill, veracity, and a desire to leave a legacy that teaches and enlightens - put together and we have a build for the ages, Peter. Enthralling.

• Profile Photo

Finally got through all the piers. 'Minder', like a cat who is too stuborn to get out of the way, got burried in wood dust.

The wood dust will come in handy for imitating saw dust in the prep area of the diorama.

To give an idea of how these piers may look in place.

• Profile Photo

James @jamesb, Here is a survivors artwork on how they pile drove the piers into ground.

Notice the POWs in background, all on a rope, hoisting the tree trunk. They used very primitive tools. The pulley is single.

• Profile Photo

Needed to work out a basic plan for the base of the model for including a Perspex cover. A display case in other words. Notice End view for right hand side; I plan to show a portion of Hellfire Pass. (Extract from link: 'Hellfire Pass is so called because the sight of emaciated prisoners labouring at night by torchlight was said to resemble a scene from Hell')
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Pass

• Profile Photo

Peter @tecko, Very cool find. Primitive indeed.

• Profile Photo

Though Hellfire Pass was far away from the bridge, I feel justified to include it in the model due to the movie scene below. This scene implied that the pass was not far from the bridge, and it symbolizes Hellfire Pass.

It can easily be seen why it looked like hell at night. The rock has various shades or dark red to orange.

Survivor illustration of what it was like.

ANZAC Day Memorial photograph.

This will be a significant and challenging part of this diorama.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent idea Peter.

I remember (not too long ago), watching a documentary where a Japanese soldier was calling out cadence (in Japanese of course) to the POW's as they were hoisting a large and heavy driver using ropes. As the soldier reached a certain number, the POW's let the weight fall, which in turn drove the pilings in deeper with each blow.

I will try to find a picture showing this method, and if I can find one, post it here for you if you like.

You also found some good pictures of what I think was called "Hellfire Pass" by the prisoners. Numerous persons died in this strip of the rail way. Your lighting idea will really help here.

On a lighter note, I like your humor, with the little figure in the saw dust...

Thanks for the updates.