The Day the Music Died – Part 3: The Diorama

Started by James B Robinson · 75 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

David @dirtylittlefokker, you are too kind. I do truly appreciate the words though. It's been a fun adventure and not even close to being finished. I had hoped that I would get the building finished and the flag poles and flags up at a minimum, not sure this will happen before Wednesday. Work has picked up quiet a bit and I cannot take any time off to get much more done. It will be finished, but not anytime soon.

Things I am hoping to add:

1. Several figures including a dog. Every dio should include a dog right? ( these should be arriving later this week).
    2. One or two more vehicles, a Tilly and an Albion Refueller. These I have and will start after the base is completed.
    3. Bicycle rack complete with one or more bikes. These have been acquired along with a few other items one would find at a Control Tower from a place in the UK.

In my younger years, I gravitated towards building AFV models. I found I really enjoyed building Dioramas and AFV vehicles lend themselves to that type of building much more, at least to me at the time. Now my eyes have opened to bigger possibilities.

Once this one is done, I'll pick a few other items to fiddle with to hone my skills in other areas before tackling another big one. I'm sure you know where that one is coming from.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Hope to see more of you around here in the future.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard Bedeur said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Wonderful work and research ! The Norseman kit of Matchbox is the most expensive one I bought relative to its size, it’s not very big. Shipping and tax in California on eBay purchases make it even more so. I had thought about Glenn Millers’ disappearance in buying it and of making a replica piece. This after seeing the history detectives issue of this mystery on PBS. I am glad you are doing this!

I gave a party for the 50 ieth. anniversary of D-day in 1994. Most people did not understand why I would do such a thing ! But the big band music made them dance! This music makes you realise that victory was on our side as it represented creative freedom. Well probably never know how he disappeared. Not a chance to find anything back lest it be a miracle of some sort.

Thank you.

Bernard

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

James, @jamesb
    I have been thoroughly enjoying these posts on how you have constructed the diorama and the plane. You are leaving no stone unturned !

I am especially impressed with your research into everything that has gone into the build... Please keep us informed with how things are going with this. I have two builds that didn't make the deadline, but I intend to keep on posting regular updates as things get accomplished.

I also thank you for the thumb drive you sent me. I hope to put the pictures to good use in the near future.

Thanks again buddy.

• Profile Photo

Bernard @bernardbedeur, I'm glad you found this interesting and thank you for the compliment. Did you read the very first article where I introduced the build? If not, you might find it of interest. I posted information about the probabilities of Major Miller's disappearance. It's pretty conclusive in my mind. If you read it, great. If not, wander back over to that article. I highly recommend Dennis Spragg's book, “Glenn Miller Declassified”. He really dug deep in search of the facts.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, thank you for stopping in and the kind words. Not to worry my friend, I will keep posting as the work proceeds and I bring it in to completion. Not to worry, I'm fully invested in seeing this one finished. I look forward to seeing your projects finishing as well. You are an Icon around here, and I think everyone else is looking forward to them as well.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

James, as far as I’m concerned the longer this takes the better. It’s been great watching this project come to life and develop. It’ll be quite sad to see her come to a finish!

@jamesb

• Profile Photo

David @dirtylittlefokker, you know as well as anyone, the end is eventual. That last blade of grass, the last speck of weathering. Eventually it is done. And then...

• Profile Photo

James, I’ve lived a life where I’ve had a few close brushes with The End (none of them close enough, according to my wife...). I’m not sure if you are talking about the finish of your quite spectacular build, or the eventual shuffling off of this mortal coil that we all must face...

To the Last Blade of Grass, James!

@jamesb

• Profile Photo

Update 02/17/20

Long week at work this past week, 6 days at the office didn’t leave me much but Sunday at the bench. Trying to make the best of my time, I did some touch up paint on the walls. Added some distress cracks for the second floor. Wasn’t happy with the shade of gray on the floor so I gave it a darker coating. I also started working on the windows.

This is going to be a bit of trial and error. Understanding the general construction methods for doors and windows, I will try and replicate as close as possible. There are not a lot of close detail photos for the windows.

One of my favorites that I’ve found.

After touch up and re-coat of second floor.

Close up of the second floor and stress cracks that would have been apparent.

Installed the window Heads, sills and jambs for the north first and second floors using 0.04 styrene.

Installed the glass for the second floor windows using 0.30” clear plastic. One strip spans the 3 windows. I scoured the plastic with a Scotch Brite pad to fog them. You can still see through them, but once the building is assembled, nothing will be discernable.

Before I go much further, I will experiment with adding the window grilles. These will be made out of 0.02" styrene strips. This is the trial and error part. CA glues won’t work, leaving a very apparent residue. I tried using Plastruct Plastic cement, but it doesn’t bond well. I have some glue designed to be used with Canopies and will try that next along with some basic white PVA glue.

Stay tuned, more to come………….
    James B

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 3 months ago:

James, @jamesb , have you thought about gluing the muntins (window grilles) to the window frames with glue(I use Weld-on #4) first and then gluing the clear. I find there is less chance of glue going on the clear this way.

• Profile Photo

Michael @mrieth, actually yes. I had also thought about cutting them from cards stock and using small dabs of white glue to attach. I'm still working through what is going to be the most efficient method. Since I had cut all the openings, each window well be slightly different in dimensions. +/- 1/64" or so.

Looking at Weld-on #4 it looks like to doesn't cure very quickly. Have you had any experience with Weld-on #3? It sets faster from what I've read.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Oops, I meant #3. I use it on all my plastic model kits also, as well as, the acrylic parts I laser cut.

Before I started laser cutting my windows, I would make a wood jig and glue the muntins together, a row at a time, long vertical and short horizontals first, then another row, etc. and then trim the outer ones to fit the frame.

• Profile Photo

I will get some bench time tomorrow night. I'm going to experiment with this other glue, Gator's Grip.
    http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html

I might even try cutting some card stock to see how that turns out. Lots of options, just want to find the most efficient and best looking effect. Luckily, the clear sheet can be popped off and I can does as you suggested, glue the muntins to jambs, sills and heads. Then apply the clear. This method would be the most time consuming but probably the best option.

Thanks for the input @mrieth.

• Profile Photo

Two guys geeking out over muntins. Ah...life is good.

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker 😉