Top Gun – Maverick and Goose leave Kai Tak in a cargo plane

Started by David Mills · 36 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Sometimes when the cycling group has been cruising for too long, I say "I feel the need . . . for speed". They often groan "Oh no, here we go!" Then I take off and become the fox, and they the hounds, for the next twenty kilometres. They must love it, or they would not chase. Personally, no other speed beats going on your own physical and mental merit.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yep, if it goes to a vote I'm with the 119.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Dave @davem, I looked into C-119's because of a 'Flight of the Phoenix' idea, apparently they are as scarce as hen's teeth here in the states. The few I found were in 1/72 scale (Testors / Italeri / Aurora) and did not have many good reviews so I changed plans. Great movie subject definitely.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Roden puts out a1/144 C-119. There's also Fairchild's C-123.

• Profile Photo
    G. Ley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The C-119 was used in the horrible remake of the original movie that used its predecessor, a Fairchild C-82 "Packet." The first Phoenix was a home built amalgamation of parts, including the engine, engine cowling, cockpit section, wheels and other parts from a T-6G Texan and outer wing panels from a C-45 with along with a tail wheel from an L-17 Navion. This was the aircraft Paul Mantz was flying when he crashed during filming. The final Phoenix shots used an O-47.

"With the loss of Paul Mantz and the P-1 Phoenix, a second aircraft had to be found and converted in order to complete filming. The Air Museum's O-47 was delivered to the USAAC in 1938 and served up to 1947. On the civil market as N4725V, it saw a string of owners (one converting it to O-47B standards), before being acquired by Ed Maloney of The Air Museum (later Planes of Fame), Claremont, California.

The museum was approached in early August, 1965 and agreed to let their O-47 be converted into a Phoenix replica. The conversion was very basic, the canopy was removed, a modified fake tail was added along with fake skids. The aircraft still landed on it's conventional undercarriage which folded into the wings when in flight (see photo bottom left). The oil camp fly-by was filmed at Pilot Knob on 4 November, 1965 with pilot Wally McDonnell at the controls. The O-47 was later converted back to it's former self (picture below right), only to crash in 1982. The remains are in storage today at Planes of Fame, Chino, California."

http://www.c82packet.com/phoenix.html

The only sensibly sized C-82 kit of any note is Anigrand's 1/72 kit, but at $150+ it's a tad spendy for a diorama. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anigrand-Models-1-72-FAIRCHILD-C-82A-PACKET-Transport-Aircraft/132548288873?hash=item1edc7e6169:g:WV8AAOSwfXJatDIH

Anigrand also offers a 1/144 scale C-82 for around half the price of the 1/72 version. Half the scale, half the price, makes sense. However, as my electron microscope is presently inop, I have to stay with larger kits. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anigrand-Models-1-144-FAIRCHILD-C-82A-PACKET-U-S-Air-Force-Transport/382082237622?hash=item58f5e044b6:g:XeQAAOSwYlRZGGVD

I may as well weigh in at this point with my offering of one of the aircraft from the first movie that had James Stewart at the controls, who incidentally handled running the radial engine for the ground shots.

The real challenge is where I might find the aircraft. Maybe if I wandered out into the desert, who knows I might find pieces of an old, forgotten C-82 kit, or maybe I might find a couple of abandoned T-6G and C-45 kits that I could cobble together and fly back to civilization; after all, the principals are the same you see.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic post, love to hear the thoughts and ideas that we go through from having an idea to chasing through the creative process.

Keep the creative juices flowing - we’re all here listening!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

O.K. decision made C-119 it is!

At the moment I'm going with the Roden Kit - which is on its way!

Thank you all dave@dirtylittlefokker,Robert@roofrat,James@jamesb, Peter@tecko, Chaz@cybergolem,and Mon@bredaba8504 for your thoughts, I think the C119/C-82 route is an inspired one!

Thanks to G.@flyingwrench for that wonderful insight into the construction of the Phoenix itself. The thought had crossed my mind briefly!

Just need to think of a name and livery for Mav and Goose's freight company!

Flying Dog Freight - maybe?

• Profile Photo

Like a good ‘iModeler at the Movies’ member, just watching ‘Where Eagles Dare’ and loving every minute...

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

UNDERDOG

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Here David. Your vernacular style post made me think of this! @David Leigh-Smith

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David,
    @dirtylittlefokker

That is a great movie ! You just had to do it... plant an seed with "Tante Ju". I just happen to know a guy that may have a few of those 1/48 Ju-52 kits. and a year to go... Hmmmmm.

All this plastic, so little time.

• Profile Photo

Ah, Louis. You saw straight through me, and I thought I was being really clever with the Jedi mind tricks, “these are the Ju-52’s you’re looking for”... Just how many of those ‘Iron Annies’ do you have?

• Profile Photo

So here it is the Roden C -119 an a small etched set.
    I am considering some figures in a larger scale, and may just see if I can work it into a forced perspective vignette/diorama type thing.
    I am putting this to one side fo a few weeks to finish the tempest.
    Any thoughts comments inspiration gratefully received!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So where is it, David?

• Profile Photo

Technical difficulties Dave!