”Victory at Sea” Eastern (General Motors built) TBM-1C Avenger flown by Robert Cosgrove

Started by Louis Gardner · 79 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Love the tribute Louis. Looking forward to seeing one complete.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Hello Matt. @coondog

Thanks for checking in...

Today I spent most of my time working on the F4U builds. However I did spend some time working on these pesky cowling "partial" Bureau numbers for the Avenger.

I used this picture that I zoomed in on and cropped as my example. It's taken from the original film of Robert Cosgrove as he's taxiing back after catching a wire. This is the style of hand brushed numbers I am trying to achieve.

Believe it or not, this has been very hard to get done properly... I sanded the numbers down again using 2000 grit wet or dry paper. This time I stopped at just the right time. My original work from yesterday needed some more touch up and alterations. I have been trying my very best to get the same style, location and worn look / transparency of the numbers.

After about an hours worth of work, I had to set it down... This is as good as it gets for the style and location. I think I'm close enough for "Government" work.

Tomorrow I will give this another very light sanding to thin out the look of these hand painted numbers. Hopefully it will be good to go this time.

as always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 8 months ago:

The build is looking great and a fine tribute, Louis .I remember watching Victory as a kid . Glad I saw the post, I almost missed it, like so many other things that slip by me.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Robert. I used to watch this show on TV with my Dad when I was a kid. Another similar TV show we watched together was “The World at War”.

• Profile Photo

I did some more sanding on the cowling numbers tonight. I went over them very lightly using 2,000 grit wet / dry paper.

Then once I was starting to remove the numbers and it just started breaking through, I wisely stopped.

Any further and I’m afraid that I would break through the Intermediate Blue. So I stopped right then and there to avoid disaster.

The next step was to install the cowling. It fit nicely and the engine is centered.

Here’s how the Avenger looks now ...

Calling it a night.

As always comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 8 months ago:

The work on the hand-painted numbers is superb, Louis. It is a real conundrum. The elements of our subjects that were hand painted I guess we should hand paint ourselves! But very challenging to get the look right. Especially on field painted camo etc.

Those numbers are perfect!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Really nice work on the numbers.

A trick to make installing the turret easier: do not fully glue both sides of the rear bulkhead in front of the turret, or both sides of the canopy, that way you can spread the fuselage enough to pop the turret inside, then run glue on those two places and all is well.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Before you decide to give advice to a veteran and experienced modeler. You should check to see that he already has built an Accurate Miniature Avenger and knows the trick in installing the turret.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Great work on the fat cat Grumman, watching this one intently. Love the hand-painted numbers, but they strike me as odd as it seems to be a very rare instance to see USN planes with handpainted numbers..?

Chuck, in regard to Tom's comment, I myself reading through this post just now learned this little tid-bit of information, from his post.. Mind you that the nature of his comment was not explicitly framed at correcting any one person of "lesser" talent, but rather it seems as though he was sharing a tip with the community. I will definitely remember this too for my build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Actually, the last three numbers of the serial were almost always painted on the cowling at the factory with a washable paint, to identify the airplane while it was on the field (awaiting flight test, etc.). Generally, the numbers were scrubbed off before the airplane left for wherever it was going, but there are several instances documented in photos of the numbers staying on. They were hand-painted, like this instance, or were spray-painted (usually very sloppy, from the photos). I've got photos of TBMs, TBFs, F4Fs, FM-1/2s, and F4Us with these numbers on their noses.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Andrew, well because there is a more simpler way to install the turret without going through that process that man described. When Louis gets to that point of the build. He will be more than happy to show you how simple it really is. As you have already seen so far he is quite detailed in showing his work. Just watch and enjoy the show.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 8 months ago:

All the more reason to watch this build then. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 7 months ago:

@Villanueva - FYI: Louis and i are long time sharers of shortcuts and easy tricks.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Hello everyone !

Today was a day for me to try and relax a little before the Hurricane Dorian blows through. Everything has been made ready for it, and we are as prepped as we can be with all things considered. I had everything completed last night, so today was spent at the work bench while we have been waiting for the storm...

As far as the turret installation goes, there's a few things that I need to address.

First off, don't follow the instructions. AM has you install the main canopy first, like I did. This is listed as part of Step #6 entitle "Bomb Bay Doors / Clear Parts"

The next step is when AM will have you try and attempt to install the turret. Step #7, listed as "Turret"

Do yourself a great big favor and install it like AM posted many years ago on their web site. I should have referred to my previous AM build that I made for our "Midway GB" about 1.5 years ago. I had absolutely no problems installing the turret in the manner that AM posted all those years ago.

The kit supplied instructions don't work. Trust me...

Here's a link to the early Avenger build.

https://imodeler.com/groups/75th-anniversary-battle-of-midway-group-build/forum/topic/148-accurate-miniatures-grumman-tbf-1-early-avenger-vt-8-torpedo-squadron-8/

My friend Rick Wilkes @fuzzmann

sent me the link... that shows how easy it is to install the AM turret. It's on page 3 of the Midway GB Avenger build journal.

In the next installment I'll show you just how easy it is to do.

No spreading of the fuselage is necessary... and please don't glue the clear main canopy on just yet... like I did here. It's a huge mistake if you do.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Speaking of the numbers painted on cowlings of US Naval aircraft, this one happens to be my favorite. Sure it's not "officially" a US plane, but you see where it was done.

These numbers are part of the Royal Navy Serial Numbers for these two F4U-1's. The farthest one is JT-199. I plan on building up a few of these RN Corsairs in the future. First I have to clear the work bench of some projects that are currently underway.