”Victory at Sea” Eastern (General Motors built) TBM-1C Avenger flown by Robert Cosgrove

Started by Louis Gardner · 79 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Andrew, @Pb_Legend

Thanks for the compliments on this build. I am very happy with how it's turning out. I have not seen the Academy boxing, (or their instructions). I'm certain the plastic bits will be marvelous since they used AM's original molds.

Please be careful as to which set of AM instructions you use. With their first Avenger kit release, the one that's wearing the Atlantic ASW colors, the instructions are spot on as far as the assembly process goes. However the illustrations are poor.

So AM revisited their instructions, on the Flight 19 and Night Fighting TBF versions, and had much better illustrations. However they scooted the pooch in the assembly step sequence. They have you install the main canopy first, then build the turret. This will leave you in a predicament and you will not be a happy camper. The first set of AM instructions had this step sequence correct.

I'm almost tempted to build another one now in the ASW colors, using a wing fold set on it. On that next Avenger I'll post up all of the shortcuts that will make it easier to build, and still not affect the quality of the finished product. However I have quite a few unfinished projects that need to get done first before I tackle something new...

On my very first TBF, (that was part of the Midway GB), it went together smoothly. However I did alter it somewhat, and back dated it to a very early TBF-1. There are some visible changes between the two planes.

Check that one out for the assembly process and you will see what I mean.

Thanks again, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions when the time comes.

• Profile Photo

Gary my friend ! @wiley2770

Thank you for the kind words. I like these AM kits too... and have to get some models finished before I tackle another one. I have a little more time to build now that I have been retired. But not as much as I would like to have. Life seems to always find a way to interrupt the Mojo. The trick is trying to get done what you can, when you can...

Always good to hear from you.

• Profile Photo

Today was a very busy day... but not much was done at the work bench. I managed to pick out the proper sized US National insignia for the Avenger.

Now I can see you scratching your head and wondering why ... But there were several different sizes of US "Stars and Bars" that were used on these planes. This is shown in photographs. Luckily I have some extra decals for the proper sized insignia to use on this plane. This is an old Aero Master set from almost 20 years ago. They still worked nicely despite the age.

I've used some of them on various kits over the years. The nice thing about this set is they are labeled by the size of the star.

This is the set of decals that came with the Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C kit originally. Notice the size of the stars... They're too big for Bob Cosgrove's plane. I found this out accidentally while placing a spare F4U insignia next the fuselage of the Avenger. I was comparing the sizes of the insignias to various photos. In order to make this plane look "right" I have to get it sized "right".

Through various attempts, I discovered that the 45 inch star was correct for the wings,

While the 35 inch star was just right to use on the fuselage... Here you can see the two different sizes placed next to each other.

To show you the difference between these insignia, and the ones provided by AM, here's this photo.

In case you are wondering exactly how big a "scaled" 45 inch star is, here's your answer.

This next photo shows the 35 inch fuselage insignia.

Using one of the close up pictures I have, I was able to determine the exact size and placement of the fuselage insignia. Since this plane was upgraded when compared to the earlier Avengers to the zero length rocket launch stubs, it affected the size of the wing insignia too. The early TBF's didn't have them, but some had a rail system that was very similar to that used by the RAF. Some planes had them added, so this is something that you need to check your references on.

Here in this next photo you can see how the 45 inch star fits perfectly. Once it dries, I'll install the under wing Yagi antennae's, and the radio altimeter masts.

Here's how the Avenger looks at the moment. There's a scoop on the Port side of the rear fuselage that interferes with the insignia. I had to use some solvaset to get it to snuggle down. Unfortunately in the process, the decal tore slightly. So I'll have to do a little creative touch up here.

Everything else will be keyed from the fuselage insignia placement. Here's the original photo:

and the model. I'm very pleased with the choices I made on the size of the insignia.

I'll have to go the decal spares for the remaining numbers. I have the numbers set aside. Now I just hope they are the proper size. Time will tell, and hopefully by tomorrow I will know...

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Those are all fine, but what you want for US insignias is the Fundekals 3-sheet set, everything from red-surround to the postwar red-white-blue, in all the standard sizes. Just frickin' stupendous - four sets for each size. The best you can get.

For future reference. I don't use anything else anymore.

And in closing, I have to say this "iModeler at the movies" project has been probably the best thing we've done here, for inspiration of further modeling. What you have done here, Louis, and the others have done on theirs (most particularly David with the "Orca" and Michael Reiss with "1941" have given me ideas on how to do other projects, Making it truly a "Learning experience," and you can't g et better than that. And thanks Chuck, I now know how to finish off the HB Avenger I am doing for Bob Cosgrove's son.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 8 months ago:

This masking job on the ball-turret is quite a feat. It's all coming together nicely, @lgardner. Always a pleasure to check-in on your builds.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Hats off - truly a great and thorought build - that detectivework on the decals is really a great read - thank you for the inspiration! Should I ever get sidetracked from 109's to US stuff I will re-visit this thread 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate them...

Tom @tcinla
    I don't have any of those decals yet. As long as what I have is working I'll stick with them for now. One of these days the decals in this set will shatter the instant they hit the water... Since I have recently retired, I have more time available (for the most part) to build. The down side to this is now that I'm on a fixed income, and I don't have a lot of wiggle room at the Bank of Gardner. So I try to make do with what I have on hand. It has been quite a while now since I have made any new kit purchases. I'm looking forward to Christmas so I can grab one of those brand new Tamiya P-38's !

This Imodeler at the Movies GB has been wonderful. My hat's off to David LS, @dirtylittlefokker

for coming up with this idea and running with it. David's Orca is fantastic, as was his USS Indianapolis... I still have to finish up my Brubaker Panther jet...it is a part of this "Imodeler at the Movies" Group Build as well. It is creeping closer back to the work bench.

I too would like to thank Chuck Villanueva, @uscusn
    for posting up his turret assembly for the Hobby Boss Avenger. Now I can visualize what I'm working with, since I have one of these kits in the stash. Overall this has been a very enjoyable experience.

Part of each one of my builds is research. I have been strongly considering building up another Avenger or so. I have 5 of these Accurate Miniature Avenger kits left in the stash that are unbuilt.

Earlier I mentioned the urge to build an Atlantic ASW scheme of gray and white. Guess what I found a picture of during my very recent online research ?

This photo checks all the boxes, and even a few more. Besides wearing the Gray and White camouflage colors, it's a radar equipped Avenger, and it has the RAF style rocket launch rails as well. I don't know the fate of the crew, but it's not looking too good here. You can bet this one will eventually find its way as a future project on my work bench.

I'd like to see how your Cosgrove Avenger turns out. Please post up some photos of it for us.
    Thanks

• Profile Photo

Michel @michel-verschuere
    Thanks for checking in ! It is always good to hear from you my friend.

I have been watching your progress on the Arch build. It is wonderful and a significant achievement ! Your scratch "building" skills always amaze me. That was a serious play on wording ...

The details you have incorporated in the BMW motorcycle are amazing too... You are a master builder. There I go again.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

Erik my friend, @airbum

I have been watching all of your various 109 builds. What amazes me are the details that you incorporate into each one of your builds. You have a vast amount of knowledge on the subject, and it shows. I have learned so much about the plane just from reading your build journals.

Thank you for taking the time to post what you do.

For me, part of the fun with our hobby is doing research. Investigative work if you will. I try to find as much information as I can on the subject I'm working on. Most of the time, something new comes about, and this typically happens just after the decals are applied...

I'm glad that you enjoy these reads. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do reading your build journals...

One of these days I'll talk you into building a US aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Today I made a last minute discovery... and was able to fix things before it was too late.

Please read along and I'll explain.

Previously I mentioned that the Avenger had several different sizes of US National insignia. As it turns out, there were different ways they were painted too. Specifically I'm talking about the three color schemes. Dark Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue and White.

Norfolk was a place that repainted / repaired and did final upgrades to various US Navy planes during the War. They did their own thing as far as how they painted planes too. In particular I'm talking about the demarcation lines between colors.

I'm not stating that this Cosgrove Avenger was a Norfolk plane. But it did have a slightly different approach on how the lower demarcation lines were painted under the cowling.

In this next photo you will see what I'm talking about. The first Avenger has the lower white color that stops short of the front cowling opening. The Intermediate Blue is rounded and comes down lower. However if you look at the next plane in line it has a fairly straight line and the white color extends up to the front of the cowling.

This is how I had originally painted my Cosgrove Avenger. You can see it here. The White color goes all the way up and all three camouflage colors are on the cowling opening. If you look close you will see where I was penciling in how I wanted the line to go.

This is a photo of the Avenger that is the subject of this build. You can clearly see the number #93 is in white on the lowest portion of the cowling. It also only has two colors (Intermediate Blue, and Dark Sea Blue) on the cowling opening.

So I made a choice and decided to mask off the nose and correct the problem.

Then I sprayed the Intermediate Blue...

While I was cleaning the air brush, I had a brain storm of an idea. I took some highly thinned Intermediate Blue paint and lightly dusted the hand applied "353" numbers on the cowling. This toned them down perfectly, and now they look as they should. I am very pleased with how they look now. This was the icing for the cake... Now I'll have to touch up the exhaust pipes.

It was time to start adding the decals... So I added a 93 to the lower cowling. These smaller 93 numbers were present on the inside of the wing fold too. So if you're building one with folded wings, don't forget to add them. You can see them in this picture. They're at the very leading edge of the wing, and are located at the lowest point when the wing is folded.

I used some decals that I had for the 93 numbers. I sliced the 9 and the 3 in various places to make them look like the stenciled numbers did on the sides of the plane. The #93 on the fin is a little too big, but not by too much.

Here's how the Avenger looks at the moment...

I'll have to do some touch up work on the "Interior Green" as well. It has some white overspray on interior portions of the bomb bay doors and actuators.

Tomorrow I'll try to add the smaller stencils. Once they dry I can spray on a sealer coat of clear to even out the overall luster (or lack of).

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Good night.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along beautifully, Louis, I saw a TBM at Republic Airport doing take offs and landings last week, what a huge aircraft.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is looking really good, Louis. There is, however, one final thing to look at regarding the photo of #93 - that is that the demarcation line between the intermediate blue and the white runs exactly along the edge of the bomb bay. Look carefully and you can see it (I had to look three times, once I saw it, it was obvious as could be), which lowers the division line to that that "downward curve on the cowling isn't so pronounced. It's not anything I would worry about with this model, but something to remember on the next one.

I'm betting that the white/Int. blue demarcation line is also a difference that can be traced to whether an airplane is Grumman or GM-built, though which is which I wouldn't care to guess on.

As regards the "Norfolk scheme" that one sees on SBDs, F6Fs and F4Us, where the upper dark sea blue comes down to the leading and trailing edge of the wing, I'm thinking that the "Norfolk scheme" has more to do with planes that came out of the factory in Dark Blue-Grey/Light grey and got repainted. I notice on SBDs that the scheme seems to go with the large national insignia on both wing and fuselage, where the central circle/star is the size of the old insignia associated with the blue-grey/light-grey scheme before the bars were added. The "straight" demarcation on SBDs that has intermediate blue above the wing/fuselage join is associated with the smaller national insignia on the fuselage, which is the "factory scheme". You see the same thing with the F6F (though in the case of the "factory scheme" the fuselage national insignia is actually larger than on the "Norfolk" scheme), though it appears that the F4U adopted the "Norfolk" scheme as the factory scheme for F4U-1As and FG-1As before going to overall glossy sea blue with the F4U-1D and FG-1D - one thing you can see on the earlier F4U-1As (which have the "short" tailwheel, as opposed to the "late" which have the longer tail wheel) have the fuselage insignia in the position where the circle-star was on the fuselage for the F4U-1 "birdcage" before the adoption of the bars - then on the later F4U-1As and I think all the FG-1As, there is the larger national insignia, just aft of the cockpit. If you look at the many photos of VF-17 airplanes, you see this with the F4Us of the first tour and the replacements of the second tour (for instance, Kepford's first F4U has the further-aft insignia, with the red-surround overpainted in darker blue, while the second one has the larger further-forward insignia that is overall blue-white).

It's really too bad these people were so busy fighting a war that none of them had the time to write down the reasons for why they were doing as they did. It's decidedly unhelpful on their part. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla

I'll probably go back and revisit the lower demarcation line under the cowling. Mine is too rounded. But first I want to seal the decals before I think about masking anything... I'm afraid the masking materials might accidentally remove the numbers under the nose. On second thought, this might be necessary anyhow, as it also appears that my numbers are too low. On the head on photo I posted earlier where the Avenger is on the carrier deck, you can see how the numbers are almost at the edge of the cowling.

So I will probably make some adjustments before I go any further.

As far as the bomb bay doors go, this is another good observation. I have had this photo since 2012 when I first wanted to build this plane. It shows the pilot Bob Cosgrove flying the plane back after it had been hit by AA fire from an IJN heavy cruiser. Lloyce Dean is unfortunately dead in the turret in this picture... The photo came from the website that is dedicated to the memory of Lloyce Dean. I simply scanned my notes and the entire page. If you look close at the bottom corner of the picture you will see I printed this page out way back on June 26th, 2012. It's been that long...

You can see that the demarcation line between the Intermediate Blue hugs the edge of the Bomb Bay doors. I painted mine this way too. I got that part right.

You can also see where the Intermediate Blue wraps around the White on the sides of the fuselage just below the wing. There's a portion of the fuselage painted in White below the horizontal stabilizer as well.

You can never have too many pictures to document how these planes were painted ! I went back and watched the original video and took various still photos while the plane was being landed... and taxied when the wings were being folded after clearing the hook.

Now I have another curiosity photo for you ! This is a "LIFE" magazine photo that was taken during the War.

Check out these pictures and the notes that go along with them... It clearly shows the Norfolk scheme on an Avenger. Check out the white stripe on the upper cowling too.

I thought you guys would like this one...

Thanks for the observations. You just might be onto something there with the different painting styles between Grumman and Eastern / GM... I saw some very neat stuff on this one as it was being restored to a static display right here in Deland. I took this photo many years ago when they were starting the static restoration.

It's currently on loan from the US Navy.

This is a very early TBF-1 and it was pulled from lake Michigan around 20 years ago or so. The coolest thing was when the pilot who "dunked it" sat back in the cockpit again as it was sitting here now in Deland.

It suffered engine failure on take off. After it was recovered many years later, they found a mechanics shop rag inside the carburetor air intake...

• Profile Photo

Bob ! @roofrat

Thanks for sharing this photo with us ! It truly is a huge plane... and something wonderful to see in flight. Here's a picture of yours truly standing next to the main gear. It gives you an idea as to just how big these planes are.

Thanks for stopping by... Hope to see you on here again soon.

• Profile Photo

This is a very interesting photo Louis. Interesting that all three camo paint styles are there in one photo. I'll make a bet that if you could enlarge it, you would find that the Avenger in the Norfolk style is a TBF-1 (with the single .30 caliber on the upper right cowling), while the one in the "factory" style is a TBF-1C. Seeing the large number on the vertical fin of the SBD-5 way back at the stern says this is Essex, and that we are looking at Air Group 9, so this is sometime between June-October 1943. My bet with the blue-grey/light-grey TBF-1 is this is from the shakedown cruise in June 1943, which would be just after the tri-color scheme went into factory painting, so having an earlier one in Norfolk repaint, a factory paint job and one that hasn't been repainted yet is very interesting. A lot of information here. There's something to note in looking at the camo on the one in the middle: having the demarcation line running right on the bomb bay break sets the demarcation as completely horizontal in side view, extended forward and around on the lower cowling.

Thanks for bringing all this research up that I would not have spotted before painting mine! Your service to modeling is appreciated. 🙂