Hobby Boss 1/72 F9F-2 Panther

Started by George R Blair Jr · 53 · 10 months ago · F9F-2, Grumman, Hobby Boss, Panther, Sullivan Group
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @gblair! Yes, there are cases like this one here whereit is difficult to clarify which part goes where...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Instructions are not that clear in this case, George @gblair
    Very nice clamps you have to secure the parts.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Intakes added and wings glued. The intakes only fit one way, and not the way implied by the instructions. I think either the parts were not numbered correctly or the instructions were wrong. Photos later. The clamps are the smallest offered at the Home Depot ("big box" hardware store). Do you have Home Depots in the Netherlands/Greece?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    You have made some excellent progress on your Panther. It's tempting me to haul out one or two of the 1/48 Trumpeter Panthers I have in the stash. A fellow Imodeler sent me some decals for a Ted Williams Panther, and I have also been wanting to build one for John Glenn. But I'm 99 percent sure one of these was the later F9F-5 so it would involve some mods... and I don't have time for that right now.

So I will have to build vicariously through you. Thanks for the updates ! It's look really good. These Panthers are my favorite jets from this era.

One of these days I have to post my Brubaker jet in the headlines section. It's a 1/48 Monogram kit... that fought me every step of the trip. It was probably stored in someone's attic and excessively warped. I got it on Evilbay as it's occasionally called.

• Profile Photo

This Panther looks good, Louis (@lgardner). If it has warps, I can't see them. A giant film prop from another of my favorite war movies. I want to build a Panther from the movie, as well as the helo that Mickey Rooney flew. Somewhere in my stash I have a 1/48 model of the helo, and it came with figures for Forney (with his hat and scarf) and Nestor.

I have a couple of the Monogram Panthers, as well as a couple from Trumpeter. I also have one of the 1/72 Hasegawa Panthers floating around somewhere. So many models, so little time.

After I finish the Kingfisher I am thinking about doing an SNJ Texan from the Sullivan's Golden Wings book. I just need to see if I have the right version of the SNJ, as well as the masks, etc.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Your 1/48 Panther looks awesome, my friend @lgardner! Looking forward to see it in the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

@gblair, in the Netherlands we do have those kind of stores as well. They are not the cheapest stores however, better to search for tools online or in smaller specialized stores.

• Profile Photo

The only reason why we don't see the warps is because I had to clamp the wings and let them completely dry. Originally it looked more like a F9F "Corsair" the wings were SO badly warped ! 🙂

I completely understand the too many models and not enough time quote. Hopefully soon I will get more of the time available part, since we are almost completed with the restoration work on Sandy's Dakota R/T truck project. Funny thing you mentioned the T-6 / SNJ model. For quite some time I have been wanting to build a model of one that was flown from our local Deland airport during WW2, using a 1/48 Monogram kit in the stash. I'm hoping this one will be fairly straight forward, other than the special markings which I might be able to do using decals from the stash as well... his famous last words of "easy". 🙂

Around 8 years ago I found a very cool picture of this one... It came to grief at another nearby local airport, New Smyrna Beach. This SNJ trainer was stationed here at NAS Deland, but was damaged during a practice landing at NAAS New Smyrna. The "DE" modex code letters on the fuselage side indicates this plane was based at Deland. The "N" has been described as a indicating a "Night" flight trainer, or possibly used for navigation. There is also the possibility it was used for something else.

New Smyrna was a smaller "auxiliary" airfield, used to support the larger bases of NAS Daytona Beach, NAS Sanford (where you flew into once), and NAS Deland. This is why it has two letter "A"s present instead of the usual one for it's NAS (Naval Air Station) designator.

There were several other nearby smaller airfields that were used as auxiliary fields too. These were Ormond, Bunnel, and Spruce Creek. I grew up a few miles away from Spruce Creek, and back then it was used for drag racing cars, and for flying RC planes. Now it's a gated golf community where people can taxi their private planes right up to their homes, providing they live next to one of the aircraft taxi ways. Most of the homes are not located right on these taxi way areas, so it's more of a golf community with the bonus of having airplanes.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thanks for the compliments on my "Brubaker" Panther jet. One of these days I will post it in the headlines. I have quite a few builds that are ready for posting now, but have not yet been.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Louis (@lgardner):
    I have never seen an "N" code on an airplane. It would be interesting to dig up the info on it. When I was an instructor in T-37s, Air Force training bases all had a couple of aux fields, one for T-37s and one for T-38s. They allowed us to take our trainees somewhere to get lots of landing practice away from the main base. The traffic pattern at the main field tended to be very busy and we couldn't count on getting a lot of landings there.

I have plans for several T-6/SNJs. I have always be partial to the all-yellow scheme, but there are several others I want to do. There is a photo in one of Sullivan's books of an SNJ with a mis-matched color on one wing, probably because it had been replaced. The photo in Sullivan's book is in black and white, but I found the same picture online in color.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Louis (@lgardner): I found a guide to the fuselage codes in a book I had in my library. The codes come from a mid-war directive. The codes are in 3 groups. 1st group is a station code, 2nd group identifies the aircraft's primary use, and the 3rd group is a plane number within the unit. So "DE" = Deland, "N" = trainer, "156" = aircraft number within the unit.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for this information. This is exactly what I was interested in finding out about. Now after looking at the illustration you posted of the SNJ that was based at Melbourne, FL, I am beginning to wonder if indeed this Deland based SNJ trainer also had the upper surfaces of the wings painted this way. Hmmm

Now you got me thinking !

Several years ago I build up 4 Hasegawa 1/48 scale Hellcats.

I painted one of them up as a NAS Daytona Beach fighter. Here's a link to it in case you might be interested.

Hasegawa 1/48 “Year of the Cat” NAS Daytona Beach F6F-3 Hellcat “Flight 138” 1945
    I have always been looking for aircraft that were based or operated from our State of Florida to build up and pay tribute to those who sacrificed for what we enjoy today. Florida, like Texas and Arizona (and many other Southern and Southwestern US locations) was a beehive of flight training activity during the War because of the good "flying weather" for most of the year. I have a 1/48 Dora Wings SNC-1 that will soon appear as part of this group too, for the reasons I mentioned. Recently I picked up a 1/48 scale Eduard Hellcat, and it came with markings from NAS Melbourne. Ironically, Jim Sullivan had sent me some pictures of this very same plane several years ago. So it too might just become a new project as part of this ever growing group. Time will tell. Like you said before, so many models, so little time. Thanks again for the help with deciphering these fuselage codes, and also for posting the pictures. I really like the SNJ you posted a picture of where one wing is darker than the other is after having most likely having been replaced. Here is another SNJ photo I found that looks really cool. It was based in Florida near NAS Pensacola at Whiting Field and it shows some Navy "WAVES" performing maintenance on it.
  • Profile Photo

Hi, Louis (@lgardner): I love the various paint schemes on these wartime trainers. In Sullivan's book, he has a black and white photo of the SNJ trainer with the mismatched colors, but he tells us what the colors were. When I later found the color photo online, the colors matched the description perfectly. I don't know if he had access to the color photo or simply interpreted the black and white photo, but he sold me on creating a model of this plane. I need to figure out which model of SNJ it was and see if I have a model that will create it. More fun down the line. The bottom photo is cool. I am pretty sure it was staged, but how often do you see wartime photos of Waves?

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months ago:

Great progress, George. That cockpit almost looks to be 1/48

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Gary (@gwskat). I think I am getting too old for 1/72. I built some of the cockpit by feel because I could just barely see the parts. Is 1/72 the one they call "Braille scale"? I know why.

• Profile Photo

I had grandpa duties with my 2 year old granddaughter today, but I managed to get some stuff done. I had more photos, but I am having trouble getting them uploaded again. It took an hour to get this one photo (out of 6 photos) to upload. The other 5 resisted all efforts to get them to upload.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.