Hobby Boss 1/72 F9F-2 Panther

Started by George R Blair Jr · 53 · 10 months ago · F9F-2, Grumman, Hobby Boss, Panther, Sullivan Group
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

The Royal Blue looks great on the Panther, George @gblair

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Tha blue looks awesome on, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). Royal Blue is a gloss color, so no clear gloss needed. It was really humid today, so I plan to let the paint dry for at least 24 hours. This plane had white stripes, so I will add them next. Then decals.

• Profile Photo

I think painting is complete. I managed to do absolutely everything either backwards or just plain wrong. I initially decided to paint the silver leading edges first, and then masked them and painted the dark blue of the plane. This was backwards. Should have done the blue first, then masked the leading edges. Next, the plane had large white stripes on the wings and the rear fuselage. I should have painted these before the blue, masked the stripes, then painted the blue plane. It took a ton of masking and a lot of paint to add the white stripes over the blue. As I was masking the stripes, I noticed there was a cutout in the stripe under one of the wings. This cutout goes around the underwing markings. I added the mask for the cutout. As I was spraying the white, I was patting myself on the back for realizing I needed to mask for the cutout and then realized I had forgotten to mask for the cutouts in the fuselage stripe for the Navy insignia. Well, this led to some fuzzy thinking to fix the problem. I decided I wanted to paint the dark blue cutouts before I took all the masking off, so I waited until I thought the white was dry and then masked and painted the blue cutouts. I don't like to leave masking tape on the model for long, so I immediately removed the tape. As I removed the tape, it pulled up some of the white I had just painted. I remasked and repainted the white stripes. I finally pulled the masking tape off the model and set it aside to dry. None of this worked out perfectly, but I think it will be OK. Overall, it took an hour to initially mask the stripes, and then another hour to paint and repaint the plane. I cleaned my airbrush 4 times during this marathon session. I am taking a long break before I get back to the model. Cheers everyone,

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

An adventurous painting session and a super result in the end, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I still have some damage control to do, then it is on to decals.

• Profile Photo

Although not entirely in the right order, the result is perfect, George @gblair
    Will look great with the decals on.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I am hoping the modeling gods are smiling on me.

• Profile Photo

Decals are finally on the plane. I tried to use as many of the kit decals as I could, and the rest came from a set of numbers and letters I got from Squadron Mail Order. I ran into a couple of problems with the kit decals. First, they are very brittle. The first national insignia I tried broke into several pieces, and a number of the kit decals lost several small pieces. I should be able to touch up the broken decals with a little white paint. The other problem is that the kit decals are a little translucent compared to the Squadron Decals. The Squadron decals went on the plane perfectly, but matching the numbers on the plane in the Sullivan book proved to be an exercise in frustration. Getting a bunch of various sized numbers to all line up was like herding cats. The very narrow decal that marks the line from the cockpit to the foot kickplate totally disintegrated, so I will need to figure something out to replace that. I plan to let the decals dry overnight, and then seal them with some clear semi-gloss. More tomorrow. Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Your Panther jet is looking really nice ! Keep it going my friend.

Decals can be frustrating at times, and even more so when they get a little age on them. Toss in the fact this one is a 1/72 scale kit and this multiplies, for me at least because my eyesight is not what it used to be up close at least.

Which Squadron decal sets did you use ? I'm looking at what I have in my decal stash to see if I can cobble a few sets together for some upcoming NAS Deland builds I have planned. In the event I don't have enough I would like to start working on a "Plan B".

Looks like you prevailed with the paint job too. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Louis (@lgardner):
    You are right. I am building fewer and fewer 1/72 simply because of sight and being able to deal with the small parts.

Squadron has been re-releasing a lot of the stuff they previously had, including decals, books, and vac canopies. Some of the stuff is new. Here is a link to the decals I used:
    https://squadron.com/1/72-squadron-decals---usa-45-degree-white-lettering-set/

• Profile Photo

A pity about the decals, George @gblair
    Glad you were able to save most of them, the will look good after some touch-up.
    Looks great with the decals on.

• Profile Photo

Great save on a frustrating decal situation, my friend @gblair! Looks great from here, hopefully you will fix everything.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking good, George. Looks like you overcame the finicky decals just fine.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and gary (@gwskat). I was a little surprised that the decals came apart as they did. The kit isn't that old compared to others I have built recently. According to Scalemates, it first came out in 2011. It still had the shrink wrap on it when I started this kit, and the decals were a sealed plastic sleeve. I suspect they were brittle to start with. I hope to have the breaks mended today and then apply the semi-gloss to seal the decals.