• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Fabulous work done, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

MAN! That is one fine looking cockpit, Rob. @robertandy

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Interior looks awesome, Rob (@robertandy).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months ago:

Rob Anderson (@robertandy)
    I have found a few pictures of this Corsair that have Pappy Boyington sitting next to the rudder. You can see how someone took a marker and covered the “NAVY” stencil and left everything else in tact. I’m sure this was done because they were Marines !

I thought you would find it a bit humorous and interesting.

I’m certain that this is actually the same Corsair as the one that you are building #735. They often used the last three digits of the Bureau Number on the fuselage sides and front of the landing gear doors. Sometimes they only used the last two digits on the gear doors though.

You are knocking this one out of the park. Incredible...

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Louis, that is funny! Sorry it took a bot to answer, work and all that stuff that interferes with model building you know!

• Profile Photo

Eduard Brassin 1/48 R-2800. Technically this was a Hellcat engine, but once in the cowling it looks close enough for 1/48. Great little kit, individual cylinder heads, PE spark plug harness. I added the correct shape of oil sump for a Corsair. The plug harness in photo etch was of course flat, but once I mixed up a gold-ish cable color it added the needed dimension for this scale. One thing that would not work as a flat piece was the silver harness the plug wires come out of, so I used fine solder. Again not quite perfect, but in the cowl of a 1/48 fighter just fine!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very impressive result on this engine, Rob @robertandy
    Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Engine looks superb, my friend @robertandy!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice work on the power plant, Rob. Great detailing!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here's a picture I took a few years ago.

You have nailed it ! Granted this is a restoration, and the colors are not quite right here. It gives you the routing of the ignition wires though.

This next one is a War time photograph that was taken at the Vought factory. This is what they looked like when brand new.

This is going to be the best "U bird" ever. Glad you enjoyed the "Pappy" pictures, and I thought you would get a kick out of the marker incident.

I can't wait to see the next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone, only "mistake" I made so far is not painting the forward portion of the cowling interior grey, though it is not clear that all early 1As were painted that way so I may be safe with it being chromate green.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here's a cool picture of a Vought drawing for the various colors that were used on the Corsairs.

The colors listed for use on the inside of the cowling could have been either Light Gray or Non Specular Intermediate Blue.

Who knows for sure what could have happened once the aircraft was placed in service ? Anyone's guess is good.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Louis, I figure I can mask the engine with some tissue and spray inside the cowling. The wheel wells however...on early -1As those seem to have been everywhere from yellow zinc chromate, to white/light grey, green chromate...all depending on when and where the particular aircraft was made. Mine currently are green, I can always paint them white when I paint the bottom of the fuselage and inner wings.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

@robertandy - Amazing work Rob. The engine detail looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 months, 4 weeks ago:

Ok, been busy working graveyard shift, but got quite a bit done on my days off. I stick to my late hours when on graves, so when the wife is asleep, I build! Paint is on, first round of fading using an airbrush is complete, coat of future applied with soft brush and cured for a couple of days is on. Next decals. I plan on making a "representative" bird from VMF-214. I was planning on building 735, but the torn up national insignia spooked me, only one chance to get that right! So I will choose a side number I haven't seen a picture of and use that. Shep Paine used to do this when he built kits for his Monogram Dioramas, based on fact, but it frees you from "what color is that streak on the side there?" Of course a photo of whatever # I choose will show up later and prove me drastically wrong, ah well. On to the stickers!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.