I'm in with a Tamiya F4U-1A

Started by Rob Anderson · 79 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Paint work looks very good, Rob @robertandy
    Those night hours are the ones which can be perfectly used for modelling, no surroundings distraction.
    Looking forward to the decals, wondering which side number you will use.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 months, 1 week ago:

I went with 748, since I could cobble together those numbers from the Fundekals sheet. LOL I noticed right before decaling my dark blue was "swooping" up at the wrong spot on the fuselage sides! I painted with the flaps off and didn't account for where the demarcation line should have been. No worries paint, airbrush...never happened...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looking really fine, Rob! Liking the variations in the paint job. Keep it going!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Nice correction and looking very good, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 months ago:

Ok, decals and more weathering, and due to a mistake, I ended up making the upper wing national insignia look damaged like in the picture of 735. LOL if you can't be good be lucky, turned out looking I like I did it on purpose. Next flat coat chipping and pastels, then final assembly and final flat coat. Edited to say "735" vice 740.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

Rob Anderson (@robertandy)
    Outstanding work here ! I really like how you did the variations in the Dark Blue. The last picture shows something I never noticed before. Check out the pitot tube. It has the vertical bar added to it, just ahead of where it joins the wing for the antennae lead. I have seen drawings of this before, but never in a picture of the real thing.

If you look at the picture you posted you can also see what looks like the wing tanks that were located in the outer wings have been taped up along the seams and the tape was painted over. They could have also used "pinking" tape like what is used to cover rib stitching. Either way, that's another cool find. Thanks for posting this picture up again.

I have a list of the Corsairs that the "then" Lieutenant John Bolt flew in September of 1943. I used a page from his log book to compile the list. I was going to build one of his planes for the group eventually. I'll check to see if he flew 735, and if he did, I just might have to take a crack at this one, #735, if you don't mind.

I remember working nights very well...

I'll be looking forward to your next posting. Take care.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Nice work on that decal, Rob @robertandy
    Maybe with a bit of luck, but in the end you made great use of what happened.

• Profile Photo

A bit more weathering, wing walks and I added a 735 detail Louis pointed out. The tape on the wing fuel tanks that seems painted over, or is perhaps of a different color than the white medical tape that seems to have been used for sealing fuel tanks. I agree it is not a paint peel, but tape. It also seems wider than usual, maybe two strips? At any rate I went with Louis' theory of being painted over. Could be a WAG (you know a wild A** Guess), but follows some logic. Wing walks are F-4B walkway decals cut to shape faded with airbrush and chipped on the edges. I taped over the gun ports, but plan on pulling them off and leaving just a bit of "residue". It worked on my 1/32 Corsair, we'll see if I can do it twice!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Excellent looks so far, my friend @robertandy!

• Profile Photo

Looks beautiful, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo

Couple more, chipping done, first dull coat on, next pastels and general grime, then final assembly. One thing I noted, is it just me or does the tail sit a bit high? Can't see it in the pictures, but looking at it the tail strut seems too long compared to photos and my 1/32 Tamiya Corsair...hmmmmm

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months ago:

WOW! that is looking DNP (you know, DAMN NEAR PERFECT...LOL) Great job, Rob...you should be mighty pleased with this one.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful chipping, Rob @robertandy

• Profile Photo

Thanks again guys!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

Rob Anderson (@robertandy)
    Wow... incredible