1/24 Tamiya Nissan R89C

Started by Anthony Ricco · 81 · 1 year ago · 1/24, car, Le Mans, Nissan, R89C, racing
  • Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year ago:

Ok guys and girls, this kits actually hates me, after the mess on the initial decals, then masking an painting the colours, taking so much care, then the care of the sponsor decals and getting them all on perfectly, this kit decided to turn on me again. Clear coated the kit with TS-13 which I've done many times before and the decals just disintegrated into cracked bits. AAAAAAAH.

The joys of modelling - I can't throw this out, not with all the engine work and the paintwork and the hours I've put in.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

That’s really bad luck, @anthonyricco, maybe you can hide the damage by weathering the car as how it looked at the of the race.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @chinesegeorge it may actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise, I've done some weathering on it and it's looking quite cool. Let's see where it goes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

This is a horrible moment, Anthony @anthonyricco
    Hopefully you can still make it look acceptable, the idea of George might be a good one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

A hard time indeed, my friend @anthonyricco! Looking forward to see your remedial/disguising techniques with great interest!

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year ago:

Damn Anthony @anthonyricco That is horrible, and any idea why it did it? Maybe weathering is the way to go. The only other solution I can think of for you is a replacement set from Indycals. Am I correct in saying that you are South African? I will be placing an order with them today which my brother will be bringing back from the states for me in the next couple of weeks. If you can get from Indycals and would like to order, let me know and I can include them with mine. You are welcome to send me a private mail if you wish.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the commiserations @johnb, @fiveten and @Rory, much appreciated. I have a plan and have started on a pivot in a different direction - I'll send some updates soon. @Rory - thanks so much, I'll send you a message now.

• Profile Photo

So this model wants to give me trouble - I'll give it trouble back. Let's roll with the damaged goods, sanded the decals so they are part off, added some scratches and scrapes, fogged up one of the lights. Let's show this kit who is boss.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great approach, my friend @anthonyricco! Looks super already!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Keep going, @anthonyricco, it’ll soon learn who’s the boss.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Seems like you are going to win this battle, Anthony @anthonyricco
    At least you can release some of your frustration this way.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year ago:

Well Anthony, it was looking good a few weeks ago, I hope it turns out to your satisfaction in the end !

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year ago:

Nice rescue job Anthony @anthonyricco... did the driver survive? ...LOL

• Profile Photo

Thanks Everyone - haha definitely some frustration released and into a good place haha, and the driver... he was never heard from again.

Here are some updates, painted some thin white over everything to fade the colours down and make it look faded in the sun.

Then added dust and weathering all over - here are some close up teasers before the reveal.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow! Looks really weathered, my friend @anthonyricco, but looks real! Amazing!
    It is beyond belief that after those decals' sorry saga such a wonderful, though unexpected, result occurs!