1989 Sauber-Mercedes C9

Started by Greg Fabian · 39 · 10 months ago · 1/24, Automotive, LeMans, Sauber-Mercedes, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

This looks fabulous, Greg @gwfabian

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year ago:

Absolutely beautiful work Greg @gwfabian! Looks stunning and what an iconic car.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year ago:

Great work on the interior and engine Greg @gwfabian, really looks fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Fabian said 1 year ago:

Thank you all for your comments. I'm at the point where I started working on the body of the car. However, with all the pollen in the air around here (and the wind), I've had to postpone painting operations (Tamiya spray laquer outdoors) until conditions are more advantageous. I'll post an update shortly after I overcome this hurdle.

• Profile Photo

A minor update today. The universe cooperated and I was able to lay-down a coat of paint on the C9. I'm going to have my work cut out for me, however, as I will have to polish-out some blemishes in the paint. My wife thinks it's funny when she asks me what I'm doing on the model and I tell her I'm waiting for the paint to dry. And that's what I'm doing now...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice paintwork, Greg @gwfabian
    Luckily the weather gods cooperated to be able to put the paint on.
    Waiting for the paint to dry can become frustrating if you want to get going with the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Paint job looks excellent from here, my friend @gwfabian!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year ago:

Paint looks great Greg @gw fabian

• Profile Photo

Short update. Now testing fitting of the body to the chassis. Next step is to install windows and prep for clear coat.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Coming along great, @gwfabian.

• Profile Photo

Progressing nicely, Greg @gwfabian

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great progress, my friend @gwfabian!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Fabian said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

It's been a couple of weeks since I reported progress on the C9 mainly because progress is fleeting. It's the old "two steps forward and one step back" process that has cursed this project from the start. It has nothing to do with the kit itself, which (as one would expect from Tamiya) is well-engineered, but uncooperative weather not conducive to spray painting and questionable technique on my part. Much of the time since my last report has been spent on trying to perfect the finish on the model. In the case of this project, perfection is the enemy of progress. Just the other day I was attempting to correct a flaw in the paint near a decal and I figured I would use masking tape over said decal to prevent overspray from obliterating it. Unfortunately, I failed to reduce the "stickiness" of the tape enough so that when I peeled the tape off, the underlying decal came with it. After soaking the masking tape in Mark Fit Strong and letting sit for two days in water, I managed to peel the decal off the masking tape using a fine paint brush. Despite tearing it into three pieces, I was able to fix the now three-piece decal back onto the model successfully. Hopefully the weather will improve around here soon so I can finally put this baby to rest. In the meantime, I think I deserve a frosty cold beer or two for all the curveballs this project has thrown at me.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

It’s annoying when things like this happen, @gwfabian, but the end result will be perfect, I’m sure, and worth all the hassle. Just four weeks to go before the race.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Wilson said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking good so far. The modeling gods always seem to throw a monkey wrench into the build. You've done a good job of throwing it back.
    Always thought the Sauber was a good looking car, right behind the Porsche 956/962C