Porsche 917 Le Mans entry 1971

Started by Rory Wilson · 54 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I would also omit the fins, my friend @rory : not only the model will be more accurate for a Le Mans machine, but it also looks cooler without them, a win-win situation.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Very nice work on both of these, @rory.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great start indeed, Rory @rory
    I agree that the car looks much better without the vertical fins.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros @fiveten, Tom @tcinla and John @johnb for taking a look and your comments. I have looked at hundreds of period photographs, and there were so many subtle variants in both bodywork as well as paint schemes. The are at least 4 distinct different shemes of the Gulf car alone besides all the other entries such as Martini etc., that I have chosen the one photo (below) to model it on which should be at least 90% accurate for Le Mans.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Good day Ladies and Gents. A bit of work done on the Le Mans car over the weekend. Finished all the filling after taking the rear fin stanchions off with a Dremel. Drilled a hole for the fuel filler which was omitted, primered, flatted of and then the colour which was a mix. Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great progress and amazing looks, my friend @rory! Omitting the fins really enhanced the already gorgeous looks!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Very good progress indeed, Rory @rory
    Agree on the removal of the fins, even more streamlined this way.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year ago:

Thanks for your kind comments Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. I am having a lot of fun with this model.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year ago:

Great work, @rory, that shade of blue looks just right.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @chinesegeorge. I hope the colour is correct or close enough as it took a bit of time to get to being happy with the colour mix. Thanks for taking a look.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year ago:

YouTube has lots of info on this classic. Some of the early cars where hitting 243 mph on the straight of ways and drivers refused to drive them because of rear stability problems. Which may explain why there are so many different rear end set ups for different races as the cars where being fine tuned and developed. My favorite YouTube short has James May showing off the car. Old guy who was once young and remembers how cool these cars where and our. Rory, the paint job looks fantastic and is inspiration. You got me hooked on this build.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle. The stories regarding the 917’s aerodynamic development are legendary. There are two heroes in this video, the car itself, of course, and Dickie Atwood, what a man.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the info and kind comments Stephen @stephen-w-towle. I have seen the James May video...superb! George @chinesegeorge, unfortunately Dick Atwood never drove the Gulf car. He won in the red car with the wavy white stripes, but yes, up there with legend status. I have used the long Easter weekend to make some progress. Most decals are on except for the roof. I decided to mix orange paint and paint the air vent on the top as I just knew I wouldn't get the decal over it. I will now cut out the decal and apply it. Thanks for stopping by to take a look and happy modeling.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Getting better and better, my friend @rory!

• Profile Photo

Very neat work on the air vent @rory, the orange seems to be a perfect match.