1/35th M60 A1

Started by Ian Foulkes · 2 · 4 years ago · 1/35, Best Manufacturer, M60, M60 A1
  • Profile Photo
    Ian Foulkes said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Who makes the best M60 A1 kit? I know that the venerable Tamiya kit is past it. From what I've managed to research, it is the turret that seems to be the weak point. Apparently the Esci kit's turret was very good... any M60 "Experten" out there to help me please?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Ian, @ianfoulk96

I served in the real M-60A-1's as a tank crewman. Each one of the kit manufacturers have their own faults. I personally would go with the 1/35 scale AFV club M-60 A-1, the newer Tamiya M-60A3 or Academy version as second. The A-3 was almost identical in appearance except for the main gun tube and thermal optics. You can backdate the Tamiya kit into a good late version A1. The bustle racks look a little off to me though.

There were many different modifications that happened to the type while it was in service. These were things like the air cleaner boxes, different style search light (or none at all), the type of escape hatch (round versus oval) grenade boxes or launchers on the sides of the turret and add on stabilization / rise passive upgrades, just to name a few off the top of my head. They also used steel or aluminum road wheels. Our tanks operated with a mixture of both types. Some tanks had an Infantry field phone mounted on the rear fender while others didn't. Then there were different radio antennae's used. Some tanks had two antennae's while other had only one.

Here's a picture of my tank being loaded on a trailer.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.