Takom 1/35 SADF Eland Mk7 (AML 90) "Noddy Car"

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 34 · 5 months ago · 1/35, AFV, AML90, border war, bush war, Eland Mk7, recon, SADF, Takom
  • Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 12 months ago:

Hi ya all,

While the paint is drying on my 1/35 Trumpeter Rooikat, I thought that I would make in roads on “Ou Boet” (Old Brother), the Eland 90 reconnaissance armoured car that preceded the Rooikat, “Klein Boet” (Baby Brother).

My build is based on the 1/35 Takom AML 90 kit, which will require significant modification. My freind got hold of a Tiger kit of the AML 90, which in my opinion is a better kit with all the additional details, interior and some more inline with the SADF variant external details.

The turret and engine bay require the most work, I will need to change the tyres and head lights as well.

I have been battling with the copula mod and decided to to resort to 3D resin printing. Now eagerly awaiting for my design to arrive.

Compared to the Rooikat, the Eland is crazy small. No wonder it could not keep up with the Ratels during the bush war and even scarier that they engaged with and destroyed Soviet supplied T34-85 & T55’s manned by Angolan’s, Cuban’s & possibly Soviet Russians as there were “advisors” in evidence. Though it did normally require multiple hits with an unstabilised low pressure 90mm gun firing HEAT rounds. Utilising, shoot and scoot tactics.

The turret of a disabled Olifant Mk1a was sent to the then Soviet Union for analysis, pretty much like the T90 been shipped to the USA for analysis.

This is an impressive little vehicle that fought well outside it weight division that deserves to be honoured in a build.

Thanks for watching.
    We came in peace, so shoot to kill

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Another super entry and great progress, my friend @snowman! What an interesting vehicle!

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 12 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, that is greatly appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Great entry indeed, Gavin @snowman
    Looking forward to this interesting vehicle.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks @Johnb, it's going to be interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Now that the Battroid is finished, I can pick up from where I left off.

Going for broke, I fitted the 3D printed copula and repositioned the air filter.

There is still plenty to do.

Till next time, thanks for watching. 🖖🏼

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Solid progress and great looks so far, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, Gavin @snowman

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys, with the extent of the required mods, I'm gingerly working my way around them. The real fun bit is going to the radiator louvre. I will probably go down the 3D printed route again.

Till later 🖖🏼

• Profile Photo

Did a little more work on the turret, rear stowage bin, reposition aerial mounts and put the lid on the copula.

More to come, till later.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work, Gavin @snowman

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice progress, looks excellent so far, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks again, I've been beavering away on the turret, fitted the .303 browning mount, copula tread plate, handles, smoke dischargers and stowage tubes.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking great, Gavin @snowman