Takom 1/35 SADF G6 Rhino

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 7 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Before it went into production the prototypes were fielded against Soviet & Cuban backed forces in the then not so Cold War, conflict on the border of the then South West Africa (Namibia) and Angola. This indigenously developed 155mm mobile artillery shares dna with the current German Panzerhaubitzer 2000 fielded in the Ukraine. The 52 calibre variant of the G6 has a world record ballistic range of about 76km.
    Anyway, this will be the early version that served on the border.

For a 90km/h, 6 wheeled, behemoth, this is not a small vehicle.

The kit is not small either.

I will post some photos later, as they are too big.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Another excellent entry, my friend @snowman! Looking forward to the kit pics and build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to see this entry being build, Gavin @snowman

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks gents, just need to get some time on the PC to remedy the photo issue. There is some great stuff about the G6 on YouTube if you are interested.

Till next time. 🖖🏼

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 4 months ago:

Hi ya,

As you can see, I have been tinkering and stole a figure from the British AFV crew set to drive my G6. Needed a little modification but he is getting there.

The kit is big and the suspension, especially the exposed front gear is complex.

The outriggers are pretty involved as well.

When the prototypes were deployed to the SWA (Namibia) and Angolan border, they drove 2400km to get there by road. One of the 4 broke down, needed an new engine and gear box which were flown in and fitted after which it was redeployed and went into battle. They apparently destroyed four Mig 21's taxing up for take off on an Angolan air base that was targeted.

This is all online and in a book on South African armoured vehicles.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson, now I need to consider what to do to keep the model inline with it's initial deployment variant which will require ditching some later mods and additions.

Got some thinking to do.

Till later!

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

An interesting and impressive vehicle, Gavin @snowman
    Good start.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Looking amazing, my friend @snowman!