Dragon 1/35 Panther Ausf A

Started by Colin Gomez · 2 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Here is my Dragon Panther A in 1/35. I have been building this model up gradually with an Aber metal barrel and Monroe Perdu paper zimmerit.

I will add Eduard engine screens later on.

The challenges so far have been blocking off the engine area so daylight will not peek through the engine louvres and also hand painting the rubber on the myriad interleaved road wheels.

I use very thinned Tamiya flat black with retarder to let the black paint flow around each wheel without spilling over. It's slow work but pays off very well in the end. The paper zimmerit is something I have never tried before and I am quite pleased with the results. You have to prime the model first to get the paper to to adhere well with Elmer's PVA glue but once this is done the zimmerit goes down very well. It is easily scale thickness (better than most putties) and can be chipped away later when weathering. It was interesting getting it to conform to ribbed surfaces such as the tool boxes but it just needs a bit of moister diluted glue and a burnishing tool to conform to detail very well. I really recommend this stuff for those struggling with zimmerit applicators and putty. I had a pattern for an earlier Panther A so I had to modify the sheet in places and will do the hull MG blister in putty. Otherwise, the overall finish looks good to me at this point. To attach tools, I will cut away the zimmerit in places and glue the racks to the hull plastic. Hope you like the work so far. Comments welcome.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The Zimmerit looks very nice indeed! Great work on the rubber wheels too. I'm strapped in for the build.