Mörser Karl 1/35 Trumpeter

Started by Michel Verschuere · 50 · 1 year ago · 1/35, Mörser Karl, Trumpeter, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nice trick to get those aligned, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 2 months ago:

It worked, I removed the ends of the copper track pins and also the liner after the glue had set.
    Here are some shots from the side:

There are some smaller details to be added still, will try and do that today.

Happy modeling, michel.

• Profile Photo

Indeed perfectly aligned, Michel @michel-verschuere

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking excellently aligned, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

Some more progress, small parts remain, such as weathering and decals...

Breech block is open, thought it was cooler like that, being able to look down the barrel of the gun...

Happy modeling and thanks for stopping by!
    Michel.

• Profile Photo

Looks really great, Michel @michel-verschuere
    So does the open breech block.

• Profile Photo

Looks fantastic, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

In case you wonder how big this thing uesed to be... There is only one survivor in the Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia...
    I bashed one of the kit figures, interchanging legs and arms for scale...

Goodnight...

• Profile Photo

This is indeed a huge vehicle, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Hard to maneuver on the battlefield.

• Profile Photo

A huge vehicle indeed, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo

@johnb @fiveten thanks for coming by. Yes this thing is so large (and slow) that it could only function within an artillery-free-zone. In practice this machine was transported by rail to the closest railhead and then marched at 10 km/h pace to its shooting emplacement. The mortar actually had a hydraulic suspension and lowered onto its belly for firing. The piece is modeled in this way here: The tracks are even with the underbelly. Happy this one converges to completion.

Here is a short ducumentary:

• Profile Photo

Really interesting documentary, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 2 months ago:

It’s come on really well, @michel-verschuere, wheels are perfectly aligned, Breech block opened, and the huge scale of the thing comes across very well. It must have been a life changing experience to actually fire it.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge I would have loved to hear the thing firing but would not have wanted to be on the receiving end of the 2t shell... They actually used these mortars three times: Brest 1941, Sebastopol 1941-1942 and the Warsaw uprising 1944. This is how the hit on a high-rise looked like in Warsaw...

• Profile Photo

I added some final paintwork before a layer of dullcote seals the decals. There are not many decals on this kit, the marking also differ between several reference pictures I used. I added some steel weathering on the sidewalks of the mortar, there where I expected most traffic of the gun crew.

Next step is a layer of satin varnish, after which I will add a wash and final weathering.

Oh and by the way, this is how big the 2 tonne shell really was, compare to the height of the figure... Still need to paint it though...

Hope you like!

Michel.