Some 1/35 shelf scrapings

Started by Mark P Hartig · 85 · 1 year ago · 1/35, Axis, WW II
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Mark,
    This looks really nice. Your dried mud is definitely looking the part. From what I have read about this kit it’s a real beauty. I have plans to someday build mine up.

Chuck Villanueva sent me a real cool set of decals for several Panthers and then a Jagdpanzer IV like this one, that have the late war “circle” or “disc” camouflage pattern on them.

I ended up getting a set of Uschi masks for them too, so I can spray it as described above. They have a lot of different types of camouflage that you can do with them.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what you decide for this one.

• Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thank you gents
    LG it is a very good kit, goes together seamlessly with excellent molding. Made me never want to do another Dragon kit. The figures included are a different story however, I'll get to that shortly.

Silly me I did not include a before shot I just noticed. Oops. Some background, then...the model is mostly OOB with the exception of a set of Fruil tracks I had laying about. I did an ambush scheme with Tammy dark yellow, dark green, and red brown and that's pretty much where I left it.

FF to today. Mud, dirt and dust are complete. The raw base has been cut and shaped, I must say I should have started working in foam for bases years ago as it's much cheaper and easy to add terrain variation. The kit supplied figures looked good until I got some paint on them where I found the facial molding to be soft and kind of inhuman looking so the garbage bucket's got 'em now. The spares box came to the rescue with the full figure from Masterbox and the half a cobble job from who knows where. Both will recieve MiniArt heads that I fitted for them.

More on the way as it gets done

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Turns out really really great, my friend @markh! Base and figures look excellent too. Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Very nice progress, Mark @markh. Great start on the base as well.

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friends

Here's a step by step on base construction, the pictures are in the order it was done.
    Air drying clay for the ruts. I use this 'cause it takes impressions very well and will not stick to your model's tracks
    The clay will shrink a bit and crack, so some filling was needed
    Diluted some white glue, spread it on the surface, then dumped a bunch of garden dirt on for some texture
    Placed some kitty litter rocks and gravel on the sides of the ruts, then fixed it in place with diluted white glue and a pipette
    Static grass applied. I recently got a static grass applicator but I"m not very good with it yet

I'll do a step by step on the painting also as some of you may find it interesting

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Really nice looking base, my friend @markh!

• Profile Photo

Nice progress on the base, Mark @markh.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents

Base painting stages

I prime with a dark color, in this case flat black
    Building up the earth tones with successivley lighter coats gives it some depth. Using MIG Damp Earth and Kursk Soil
    Going for the dry grass look using Tammy Dark Yellow and Buff
    The last thing I'll do is pick out some of the rocks in a random fashion using light, medium, and dark grey. I wash them with lighter washes from medium grey up to white, it's important to keep this random.

Base is done, then. This one's very close to the finish

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks very realistic, my friend @markh! All the extra job paid off!

• Profile Photo

Really great, Mark @markh.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys it's done. Article to follow

• Profile Photo

Right then

Keeping up with the theme I pullled another shelf queen down, this one not even completed...Takom's Tiger II Porsche turret with interior and zimmerit. A very complex kit that overwhelmed me awhile back. Pictures 1-5 is where I left it, pictures 6-8 is what I did today. Note that to get the turret basket to fit I had to remove the travese gear in the hull, disappointing but not really a big deal as it would not be seen with the turret in place anyway. To get the basket glued in the right place it was necessary to glue the rear brace on, let it dry, then jam the works into the hull which pushed the ring/basket connections into the right place. It's now drying with a bit of weight on it. This has been a difficult kit with many mousetraps and teeny parts but I should be able to push it thru to completion.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great to see that you are recommencing work on this challenging kit, my friend @markhh! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Nice to see you picked up another one from the shelf, Mark @markh
    Quite some busy interior already.

• Profile Photo

Har blokes man over plastic

We'll see if I'm still saying that in a week

Interior build complete and base painted. Despite my urge to I will not go overboard with detail painting this, gonna be dark in there as well as the hatches are small and I do so hate wasted effort. Should have done this as a cutaway what with all the nice detail oh well too late now.

The kit provides glue together indy link tracks on sprues, I elected to get a set of Fruils. Dragon Tragic tracks are bad enough but the notion of cutting these free and having to clean up the cuts lacks appeal.

I've not yet decided on three tone or winter whitewas for a finish

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.