Some 1/35 shelf scrapings

Started by Mark P Hartig · 85 · 1 year ago · 1/35, Axis, WW II
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Like in most cases, it is a pity to hide all those details, Mark @markh
    Personally I do like to paint interiors, but you are right, it will be very dark inside that turret.
    Not sure if my voice counts, but I prefer a winterwash.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @markh!

• Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Cheers blokes

Turret interior has been painted as far as I'm gonna take it, closed it up today. I found the barrel stub was too long so I sawed a bit of it off, note the before and after dry fit shots. Takom did not include positioning holes or marks on the zimmerit turret so they give you a template to mark them out. I can't help it, I look at this with a jaundiced eye and think that a model kit that retails for over $100 should not require you to mark out parts position with a template and then sit there trying to figure out what you're gonna use to gouge rectangular holes of a uniform depth in the plastic. I had to drill out and file the turret face for the co-ax, and found out that the main gun does not elevate past horizantal which throws a wrench into my diorama plan. Gripe, gripe...none of this, mind, is beyond my abilities but it is annoying so I'll quit whining now and get back to work.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @markh! Who knows why the Zimmerit has no positioning aids.

• Profile Photo

Interior looks really great, Mark @markh

• Profile Photo

OK I'm over my snit

Assembly completed, primed and basecoated with Model Master Acrylic Dunkelglieb. I'm really gonna miss this paint when I run out of it...dries quickly, covers well, and is very durable. You may note the attitude of the main gun has changed, the previous position botherd me enough to make me get a set of forceps and break off what was holding it. A piece way down deep that could not be seen anyway, I still look sideways at Takom engineering since I ran into quite a bit of parts interference on this model.

As can be seen, Fruil tracks will be used on this since after experience with the not so good fitting kit I don't have much faith in the kit supplied link and length tracks. What little reference I found on Porsche Tiger II's showed mostly slick side turrets with no spare track hangers on them so the problem of locating and securing them is solved rather neatly. I kind of regret starting this without a plan as now I'll not be able to model a specific vehicle with any accuracy but not over much as now it's fiction time.

Whatever that's gonna be

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A lot of quality work done, my friend @markh!
    The Dunkelglieb looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Great work, Mark @markh
    Indeed nice work on the dunkelgelb

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents

So then 1st fading coat on, may do another later. Semigloss coat on, polished edges of steel roadwheels picked out. These will be deepened later. I thought about some green camo stripes for all of five minutes and decided no so decals were applied. Acrylic mud is now drying on the hull and roadwheels, the latter were pinwashed with MIG DAK wash. Got a start on the fool tracks as well.

It's comin' on

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Coming up wonderful, my friend @markh!

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, Mark @markh

• Profile Photo

Cheers gents

Pinwash and flatcoat on. Not yet decided where it's goiong from here but I'll have time for that while finishing the tracks

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Mark @markh
    Looking forward to see how you continue with this one.

• Profile Photo

Great progress indeed with this beauty, my friend @markh!

• Profile Photo

Me too JB
    Spiros the hardest parts are over now, I can coast a bit

Tracks done. The AK burnishing fluid worked very well to great effect. It would have only taken one treatment to do them up but I neglected to clean the links properly, can't fault the product for that. Once dry I brushed two applications of AK enamel Track Wash, let 'em dry, then two very dilute dust coats made of Tammy Desert Yellow and Deck tan. Graphite was applied to the inner surfaces where roadwheels contact the track and the guide teeth were picked out as well. I was going to sand the contact points of the tracks but that would have wiped out the ice cleats so instead I painted these with Tammy Metallic Grey. An unintentional win here as I think the dark grey metallic looks better that the brighter color I'd have gotten with the sanding idea. Detal painting next

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.