Tamiya 1/48 Jagdpanther Late Version

Started by Walt · 9 · 3 years ago · 1/48, German Tank Destroyer, Jagdpanther, Late Version, Sd.Kfz173, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I am posting this in progress build about midway through the build. I tend to build only 1/48th scale, in part so my entire collection is in the same scale. I like it because you get to judge the relative size of things together. I also like the ability to build with a relative high degree of detail but not take up acres of space on shelves and in boxes. Still especially in the armor area I take lessons from the masters of armor in 1/35th scale. It is fun to apply them to my builds and help me to create better and more interesting models.

So here in 1/48 is the Tamiya Jagdpanther, and at the point that it is basically completely built. If you can follow directions then you can get to this point. The one thing though that I would recommend and have seen missed by here is following basic constructions skills. Before parts are put together all molding seams are cleaned up, ejection pin marks where visible are filled so not to show later. For IPMS judging and well just eye esthetics it can make all the difference in the world. Seams and marks just distract from all the rest of the hard work you put into the model.

The first coat of paint is to paint the entire model black. I learned this from someone, it shadows in the areas that will be hard to reach later with color and helps with any shading of the color you may want to do.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman thank you for sharing this. I am only just beginning on the vehicles in 1/48 for the same reasons as you (I usually build aircraft and want to display them with period vehicles). Great tip with the black.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Walt, indeed, a dark base color adds "shadow". Also - when the top color is faint - you get a nice color modulation effect that makes the vehicle more interesting to watch. Good one on this post!

• Profile Photo

I started applying color, was going to used a system of forcing shadow and highlight. I didn't do it exactly right but basically what I did was lightened the paint as I went up the tank making the upper horizontal surfaces lighters than the lower surfaces. This makes the bottom to appear to be more in a shadow. I have tried something like this before, but I didn't do it exactly the same way this time, so will see how it works. I know it looks harsh now but will wash down nicely, trust me! 😉 I will start doing detail painting next which will make a huge difference.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Starts to look beastie! First camo is never decisive, don't worry. After weathering, all is "blended in" and in the end, you don't see much of the initial layout anymore, I find. Great work, do keep us all posted Walt!

• Profile Photo

you say;

trust me!

I will - and follow closely, learning all the way 🙂
    Very nice so far - I like the way you have freehanded the different colors @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo

Started Picking out the details and painting them, few more to do along with the road wheels. The tracks were painted black before I painted the camo, and when I painted the tank I tried to avoid the tracks. Now I hit the tracks with Floquil Roof Brown not trying to paint them just brushing it on giving variance to the black and covering the over spray. I will go in an touch up the road wheels next and finish some of the other details. Then a coat of future for decals and start making it look like a tank.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Its been a while, and while I have been busy working and repairing my car, I have taken time to move forward on this build. After painting details I cleared with Future and applied decals, then hit them with another coat of Future.

First off I followed a process I have used before on aircraft and vehicles. I put little dabs of all kinds of colors of oil paints and then wash them off with a brush and some Mona Lisa thinner. It's a messy process and you remove 99% of what you put on, but it does put a filter to that the light has to pass through when you look at the vehicle.

Then came chipping using a fine sponge with black and brown paint. I kept going till I thought it looked good. I am not an expert but these came into the war, late and this being a late version, participating in the Battle of the Bulge, it probably wouldn't be too worn. One thing I will say, after you do work on your model, take pictures and look at them on your computer. What looks good on your work bench looks different, its almost like seeing it for the first time. When I looked this one I am not completely happy, I will do some more work to it for the next installment.

Lastly I did the more refined wash, I use old school drafters pens to apply the wash to corners, crevices and recessed areas. Looking I still have a little clean up before going further. I put some fresh paint pictures next to the state I am at now to show how things change. The colors are less stark, have more warmth and have taken on different tonal qualities.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You are right @luftwaffe-birdman, the camera is unforgiving! I often think how my builds look, then I realise the camera is able to get rather close, and all in all it looks OK to the eye. It is a great route you have chosen though to check via a picture - and are prepared to make adjustments from that.
    Anyway - your jagdpanther is coming along nicely, thank you for sharing!