Frankenvark Lives:

Started by David Kight · 40 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Kight said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Started this one about 5 years ago for the Hyperscale Classic British kits page and had to stash it on the shelf of doom a few times "on account'a." I call it Frankenvark because it's a kit bash of three F-111 kits and an ancient Verlindin cockpit set with modified Pavla modified A-4 Skyhawk Escapac ejection seats. I chose to do 151792 because it was the least modified F-111B in the bunch thus easiest to build.

I'm posting it here due to the fact that China Lake has the last remaining F-111B carcass, which may wind up at the Naval Air Museum at NAS Pensacola FL, if you haven't been there, it's a must see.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A really nice project, my friend @davekight!
    Love the pics!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Maybe an update in the morning. (my time, US eastern standard)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Not one you see often (as in evah!) - you've got your work cut out for you on this project, but it will be distinctive to say the least when completed.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looks to be a work intensive project, David @davekight
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys, here's an update. The crew ejection pod part from the Airfix F-111 kit is the worst fitting piece I've experienced in a long time. I had to use a sheet plastic shim and make tabs and center it because it's more narrow than the rest of the kit. That and gaps look like a job for Milliput...

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow, that is quite some gap, David @davekight
    For sure you will take care of that, but it is not the most exciting part of modelling.

• Profile Photo

You are doing s fantastic job on the challenging Airfix kit, my friend @davekight!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys. Will be at that unexciting stuff today...

• Profile Photo

Well, the gaps are filled and, hopefully, sanding will be minimized. Now on to the next step. Probably the intakes.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @davekight!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I am really looking forward to this build, David (@davekight). I have wanted to do the Navy F-111 for a long time. I have the ancient 1/72 Revell kit, as well as a 1/48 resin nose which doesn't really say which manufacturer's F-111 it is supposed to fit. Can't wait to see yours.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. I had the old '60 something Revell kit too. The only parts I've used from it are the wings and nose, the nose isn't quite shaped right, the upper half needed flattened out. I sanded the top half flat and it became too thin. I backed it up with sheet plastic but it began to delaminate so I made a resin copy. That bubbled so I had to slather it with Mr. Surfacer, and sand some more. The original intent was a naval aircraft group build using Airfix, Frog or Matchbox kits and I got the idea to do the F-111B using the Airfix F-111F kit, or that's what it was billed as on the box top. In the 1960s Airfix was Johnny on the spot cutting molds for the latest thing and the "TFX" was one of them. They put boundary layer air vents on the top of the fuselage and on the fuselage sides under the wings, as the first few F-111Bs had them. Every one else I've seen do this used the Hasegawa FB-111 kit and leave the vents in the wrong place. I should note that I have used AMT F-111 parts too...

• Profile Photo

Great work done on the filling, David @davekight

• Profile Photo

Over the last few days I've spent most of the effort on Frankenvark filling the forward section gaps. I got a little too aggressive rubbing out the Milliput and wound up back filling with Mr Surfacer. That meant lots of sanding, it turns out on examination, that 20 to 30% of the raised panel lines have already been sanded off.

Looking at the in flight photo of the bird I'm intending on doing, I've decided to sand the entire model smooth and replicate most of the panel lines with variations of the ghost grey.

Here's how gap filling has come so far. I've also done some work on the aft end and the exhaust cones. More on the exhaust cones themselves later, they're not quite ready for pictures. The old Revell wings have nothing but raised lines, I'll have to cut some recessed lines for, at least, the ailerons and slats.

More to come

Dave

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.