Frankenvark Lives:

Started by David Kight · 40 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Kight said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Short copy today guys. Not much to show for all the work I put into it, but here it is anyway...

I knocked off the horizontal stabilizers while trying to polish them, which is okay since I found some metal pins for a more positive fit, it will better to mount them after painting anyway. It's a clean machine now. In between the strakes was the tricky part. The whole kit was was covered in shallow sink mark valleys I had to burn through with 280 grit sand paper before I could polish. Thankfully, that's all done and I can move on from there...

More to come,

Dave

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

It is amazing what they can do now with 3D printing, David (@davekight). The conversion is really taking shape. I was on Ebay last night and found a 1/48 conversion for the Monogram F-111 that included a new nose, extended wingtips, underwing pylons, and missiles. It was pricey, so I think it can wait for a while. I also need to find my Monogram F-111, which is in a box in storage.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A pity about the horizontal stabilizers, David @davekight
    Those pins will definitely strengthen it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @davekight!

• Profile Photo
    David Kight said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I was hoping to get a ton done over the Labor Day weekend, but life issues got in the way, so it was only ounces.

Long ago I had a hankering to turn out a Combat Lancer F-111A. I had a work buddy once who crewed Sparkvarks and complained loudly about the Air Force using the F-111A airframe for the Raven, apparently the age of the A model lent to maintenance headaches. Anyway, I'm glad they did because a modeling buddy pointed out that Hasegawa's EF-111A Raven kit came with all the necessary parts to build up an F-111A except the weapons.

So, naturally I went out and snagged one. Someone has a built up one in the gallery, it looks spectacular enough to make me want to get another, and build it SOB, but the Hasegawa F-111 in general has become scarce and expensive. There's one guy on eBay who has an FB-111A for $68 with free shipping, but another who has an F-111G for $130 and $11.95 shipping, the first guy suddenly seem very reasonable.

I bought some goodies to make up for missing items. The kit has collected dust long enough for Caracal Models to turn out F-111A decals featuring Combat Lancer markings. I spent some time trying to build up the ResKit exhaust stuff and pretty much trogged it. I forgot to put the PE part in first and cut out the gear looking piece. I did a nice job of it, but there was little tab meant to key every part to the 12 o'clock position that was over size enough for it to be impossible to fit. I finally got it on by taking a jeweler's file to it, and in my excitement, glued it in place, forgetting the PE part. The whole thing was a fiasco, but I did learn not what to do.

Anyway, the previous photo, and this one shows you can't see much anyway. In this one, if you squint real hard, you can just make out the the flame holder in the AMT burner cans I had already installed. I'm not in the mood to try grinding them out and risking irreparable damage, and the resin exhaust cones themselves went together okay, so I'll just cut off the Reskit cans and use the cones. The spares I'll save for the other set and see if I can build it up right for the Hasegawa kit. The main reason I dug up this kit was to use it for masks to recreate the panel lines that I've sanded off, I don't have one of those new fangled computerized mask cutters, so I have to do it the old fashioned way.

One step forward. Two steps back...

More later,

Dave

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Bottom line is your build is ABSOLUTELY SUPERB, my friend @davekight! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

In the end it will be an amazing build, David @davekight

• Profile Photo
    David Kight said 1 year, 7 months ago:

First Things First: Trying out captions for pics...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice jobs allover, my friend @davekight!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice progress, David @davekight
    The caption part seems to work well.