Aviation then and now shots

Started by Jim Harley · 18 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Over the years I toured with Collings I tried to match up historic photos across the country as they are now. Maybe this will be of interest to some?

Akron Fulton Christopher Columbus Statue 1930's and now
    Akron Fulton Zeppelin Airdock 1929
    Explorer 1 or 2 at Akron, photo did not clarify which one
    Captured Zero at NAS WIldwood NJ
    B-29 crash site near Boeing Field Seattle
    Ephrata AAF Washington WWII
    Tullulah Airport LA, part of the airmail route that eventually became Delta Airlines
    Dick Bong Funeral Superior WI 1945
    Mustang Jay Dee at the Cleveland AIr Race and now
    Cleland AIrport Willoughby Ohio
    "
    "
    Jimmy Doolittle Visits Akron Ohio for Navy Day circa 1933
    Hughes Aircraft building and the Spruce Goose
    Goodyear Aircraft, probably 1944 and now...note the same fence

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, almost missed this. Really cool images. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Agreed ! This is amazing for several reasons... First the ability to compare photos from "then" and "now". Secondly, to be able to walk in the same places that these historical events happened.

Amazing work Jim and very much appreciated.

• Profile Photo

glad you guys like them...It's surreal to track down these locations and realize how much the world has changed over the last 50-100 years. I've got a lot more, both here and abroad. I've always been fascinated with Zeppelins, so these are kinda heavy on that theme.

Eastern DC-3 at Stinson Field Texas
    Eddie Rickenbacker visits Stinson Field...909 filling in
    Berlin Stadium and the Hindenburg
    Berlin Stadium Torch Lighting 1936
    Berlin Stadium
    RB-51 in Idaho at the Ed Browning hangar
    Lakehurst NJ and the Hindenburg
    Lakehurst
    Lakehurst
    Goodyear High School Akron 1931, Admiral Moffett visits the school in Celebration of Navy Day
    Dick Bong, home on leave, entertains kids at the Poplar Hardware store. He's buried across the street
    The Graf Zeppelin at Akron Fulton
    New Corsair at GAC Akron Ohio
    Goodyear Aircraft Ramp and new FG-1s
    Birdcage Corsair gets airborne at Akron Fulton, pretty sure this was 1943
    USS Macon at Moffett Field California
    This photo wasn't marked, but it's either the Akron or Macon at Fulton

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Awesome Jim. You know a character by the name of Rick Sharpe?

• Profile Photo

Oh I know Rick 🙂 lots of years now. This was Rick showing me how to start the T-33...we’ve flown a bunch together.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I'm guessing it was this particular T-33...

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow James that was that day and that flight.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This was out Scottsdale, Rick was in the 262 and I was in Betty Jane...we went out and did some tail chasing

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great pics Jim, having a college history degree I always enjoy then and now pics. Really nice collection and presentation.

• Profile Photo

Jim, same day...same flight! You happened to be in my back yard that day. Had I known you back then, I would have introduced myself. The SB2C was just a few hangars away. That's also the year I became a Life Member of the CAF. Rick and I are a few years apart and grew up in the same neighborhood. Didn't know each other then, but we have a lot of friends in common.

Small world...

• Profile Photo

It truly is a small world...I'm going to try and go to the IPMS show in Houston next year. Ryan Harris and I are planning on attending. Ryan's dad Rick runs the maintenance program for the Collings' jets there at Ellington. Maybe see you then?

Thank you Tom, in hindsight, if I could do it again, I would have gotten a history degree as well. There was so much packed in to the last 100 years it would be a challenge to cover that and the last couple centuries. If you guys really like these I have a lot more that are non aviation related as well...movies, WWII Europe, and some random sites in the U.S.. Now that I look back on these I guess I had more free time than I thought 🙂

Harrisburg PA pretty cool with the Boeing 247 sitting there
    North Central State airport near Pawtucket RI
    Stinson Field Texas
    Not so Howard Hughes in the Goose
    College Station Texas...and a long gone DC-3
    Wrong Way Corrigan visits Stinson Field
    Ephrata AAF Washington
    "The Helmet" Robin Olds, the helmet is now on display in Dayton
    Curtiss Jenny factory in Buffalo NY, it was recently torn down last year...got a brick though
    General Mike Rogers "Beantown Banshee"...this was a really special day...Mike and I went up in Betty Jane and he gave me one of the best flights I've had. I only wish I could have put him in the front seat. He passed not long after this day. He still had 'the touch'.
    Westfield, MA
    Hattiesburg MS ramp 1946
    Hindenburg crash site
    Akron Fulton 193?
    Moffett Field parade ground

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I really don't know Ryan that well, seen him around the hangars when I've been out there, but I do know Rick. I've spent a little time with him. Recently (several months ago) I did a photo shoot with the Scooter. The guy standing next to Sharpe paid for a flight experience and paid me to do a photo shoot with him and the plane.

Yes, we should plan on meeting up then.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I just realized that photo of you in the P-51 and Rick in the 262 was taken by my friend Jay Beckman.

• Profile Photo

I can't remember how I got that shot...it was probably from Jay himself. A lot of them were forwarded from the home office so unless they had a watermark it was hard to keep them straight. Here are some more...these are from around Europe. During 2013 we did an abbreviated Band of Brothers Tour and WWI battlefield tour. Crammed a lot in to two weeks. As we traveled from Belgium in to France a couple of us realized we were roughly following AH's "victory" tour as he made his way to Paris. It's really creepy being somewhere he was photographed.

Prague town square, the building was damaged beyond repair during numerous bombings
    Berlin at night...
    Luftwaffe HQ building
    Another shot of Prague on fire
    Hotel Adlon, This is the second incarnation as the original was accidentally burned down in 1945 by Russian troops. It sits on the Unter Den Linden and was not far from the Reich Chancellery building. It's guests included.. Louise Brooks, Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Emil Jannings, Albert Einstein, Enrico Caruso, Thomas Mann, Josephine Baker, and Marlene Dietrich, Franklin Roosevelt, Paul von Hindenburg, Herbert Hoover, and my favorite wartime author William Shirer.
    Prague the Charles Bridge when occupied by Germany
    Amon Goth's house, which sits on the site of the Krakow Concentration Camp...it was being renovated for a new owner. (the construction crew wasn't too keen on us 'looky loos')
    Herman gets married in Berlin at the Cathedral
    Krakow Ghetto...not far from Schindler's factory building
    Berlin, Brandenburg Gate
    Ypres Belgium during AH's visit to the Menin Gate
    Vimy Ridge Memorial, this place is incredible...preserved shell holes, extensive tunnels, and a graphic view of just how close some of the trenches actually came.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.