3d printers

Started by Carmelo Rodrigo · 8 · 4 years ago · 3D, Printer 3D
  • Profile Photo
    Carmelo Rodrigo said 4 years, 8 months ago:

This is a topic that I haven't found many posts on the forum.
    A year ago I tried to do some test with a 3d printer of the filament with PLA.
    The result was disappointing, since when working with small pieces I did not have the necessary resolution, in addition to that most of the time it broke down in the process of printing.

But last week I found a printer that works with photosensitive resin with an incredible resolution to make small parts and with incredible finishes, I attached some photos of the first tests.

I think that this type of printers can change the course of our hobby.
    Without thinking about the possibility of buying kits to print the pieces and later assemble it.

I would like to know your opinion about it.

REGARDS

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Matija Skobe said 4 years, 8 months ago:

what printer is it?
    I have done few parts for my mustang on friends Form2 with 25 micron layers and it turned out good,
    but not excellent and not with extra smooth details, which most of modelers seek.
    IMHO printing is good for something flat in one axis like engine block, not for tiny curvy things like multispoke rims. And it has to be modeled to the micron, if your rivet is at 1.122 z-axis, printer wont print last 0.022 as his layer is 0.025 and rivet wont be finished - round.

Since everyone is modelling because of the whole process from start to finish, making something with your hands of hundreds of parts; having 3d printer for making few parts now and then is not cost effective as printer resin has its lifetime.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I also think there is a limited value in having your own hi-res printer at home when you are a modeler. I myself bought a riprap ABS FLD Prusa i3 four years ago. I learned a lot about 3d printing and the whole workflow that goes with it:

1. Design a CAD model of the subject (I use openscad programming language)
    2. Import the .stl 3d file into a .gcode generator (I use slicer)
    3. Transfer to an SD card and print, the key is really to have a good bonding between the printbed and layer 1... also, ABS filament is better than PLA, you can also treatit with acetone for smoother finish ( PLA does not disolve in acetone)

I occasionally use 3d printing from this FLD type printer:
    https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-armor/forum/topic/arco-dei-fileni-lybia-1941-42/

However, my resolution is no better than .3 mm on this machine, at best...

I was thinking recently whether to buy a resin printer for higher resolution work, but since I don't print everyday, I would waste chemicals and resin and pollute the environment with degrades liquid resin. I think I will use printing platforms likeshapeways to print my hi-res designs in resin instead. Given the cost of a decent resin printer (easily in excess of 3000 EUR) I Think it is more cost effective an investment. Also, these printing technologies evolve fast and your purchase is easily outdated within a few years.

Hope this helps!
    Michel.

• Profile Photo

Elegoo Mars + 500 cm3 of resin

€ 250 Approx purchased from Amazon.

【High Accuracy and Resolution】 ELEGOO Mars uses a 2K HD 2560x1440 LCD masking screen to provide accurate printing with an XY axis resolution of 0.00185 inches / 0.047 mm.

At the moment in tests but if only to be able to manufacture pilots at 1:32 scale and something to improve models.

I think it will be a good investment.

Michel
    What you say is true, but I think with this technology and these prices I wanted to try.
    The connection rod that I have printed, has a really small drill I have not measured it but it can be in 0.3mm and it is perfect.

Also as it came from the factory without touching settings.

REGARDS

• Profile Photo

Yep, in that case, worth trying. Let me know how it goes, you can PM me then!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I’ve not had the opportunity to ever use one. But I can see an interesting opportunity for the modeling industry with 3D printing. Just buy the CAD files for a kit and build as many as you want. Scratch built planes & cars that kits don’t exist for...many options giving the time and tools.

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

Some pictures of how it looks.
    It is a two-cylinder steam engine.
    The original design is not mine I downloaded it from grabcad.com
    I found it interesting as a starting point.
    The intention of the mechanism of the cylinders and connecting rods works.

REGARDS

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.