How to get the proper shape for bulkheads?

Started by Boris Rakic · 5 · 6 years ago · Scratchbuilding, Tools
  • Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

So here it goes: Let's say I want to add interior bulkheads to an aircraft fuselage. What is the best way to measure the right shape? I know there are tools like contour gauges, but the ones I have seen so far seem to be not precise enough. I have also seen people using plaster to create a negative of the fuselage interior, using this as a template for creating the bulkheads. Seems awefully complicated to me:-)
    Any tips would be highly appreciated!

• Profile Photo
    Jeffrey Leiby said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Boris, Get a profile gauge. Go to this link to see a picture and description of the tool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profile_gauge. You push the gauge into the fuselage half following the line of new bulkhead you wish to install. Then lay the gauge on a folded sheet sheet of paper, using the fold as the center line, trace the rough outline. Cut out and unfold and you should have a full pattern. If fuselage is not symmetrical, use gauge on both halves and join shapes for single pattern. I have use this technique on both injected and vacuform kits.

• Profile Photo
    said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Scale plans. Aeroflight.co.uk though there will probably be other suppliers out there.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I use thin cardboard or printer paper to form a template. You can usually eyeball it pretty close, or fold it into the fuselage to get a basic shape, outline the shape with a pencil, then trim it to fit as needed. If you make a mistake, just get a fresh piece of paper and start over. Trace the outline onto your sheet plastic and you're good to go. Not very scientific, but it works pretty well and you don't have to buy anything!

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you for the tips guys! I will give profile gauges a try.
    Cheers,
    Boris