Oh no, my first WWI model

Started by Wes Pennest · 5 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 2 years, 4 months ago:

So for xmas I got the William Barker WNW Snipe kit. I have never done a WWI model before. I've only done one biplane before (An-2) and I have never dealt with turnbuckles or any complex rigging. What should I read and/or watch to learn what I need to learn so I don't screw this up?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

You don't need to go "whole hog" on the model since it's your first.

This particular kit is very "assembly friendly." Paint as much of the detail as possible while the parts are still on the sprues. Do not get paint on surfaces that will be glued, because the tolerances the kit was designed to won't tolerate that much change in dimensions.

You don't need to do your first rigging with turnbuckles and thread - that's complicated even for experienced WW1 modelers. You can instead get some stainless steel wire and rig with that (get around .003 diameter). Fortunately the Snipe doesn't have the doubled flying wires of most RAF fighters then.

Go to places like Modeling Madness and look up (click "site map" to get to the reviews annex) reviews of building the model. Look here for reviews. wwimodels.org is also highly useful.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

That will be a great challenge for 2022, Wes @avispa93

Thinking out of the box might even reveal that you are great modeller on WWI planes as well.

Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice since I still need to start my first WWI also.

The advices from Tom, @tcinla, seem very valuable. I will definitely go and read those myself to be prepared.

Looking forward to your build.

Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. I'll take a gander at all of that. While I have your attention, did the Snipe use that flattened "Raf Wire" I've heard of?

• Profile Photo
    Alex said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Right, WNW models are quite intimidating. I was also anxious when I opened my first kit. But I quickly noticed the high quality of those models which helps finally to feel comfortable. Spend time to read carefully the instructions, gather some references, and color pictures of refurbished airplanes from the Great War.
    About turnbuckles and rigging; I spent a lot of time observing, thinking about how to do it, etc. and finally it went smoother than I thought.

I used the resin turnbuckles from Gaspatches models (https://www.gaspatchmodels.com/resin-turnbuckles-1-32/) and thin wire having a certain elasticity.

You have to prepare well the holes during the building of the model. Simulate the angles using a brass/metallic tube in order to align the turnbuckle with the wire. Paint your model (you can place a plastic profile in the holes to avoid paint filling them). When the model is almost finished, but the top wings are not yet fixed, glue the turnbuckles in the holes with CA glue.

Prepare a lot of little brass tubes of 2 or 3 mm long (smaller diameter the better). Perform some tests passing the wire through the turnbuckle and into the tube to finally fix it with a drop of CA glue. Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-moPlWxbo.
    According to models, it could be more convenient to attach the first section of the rig to the lower or upper wing before final assembly, I let you judge.
    Be generous and provide enough spare wire. it will ease the future manipulation passing the wire into the second turnbuckle. Do not forget to insert the brass tube in the wire before passing the wire in the second turnbuckle.
    You do not need to pull too strong the wire, gently pull the wire and glue the second section of the rig. Cut the spare wire.
    When all is mounted and glued, you can paint the rigging.
    Hope my explanation is clear enough.
    Feel free to contact me if you would need more details 🙂