Opinions needed - PE tools

Started by Doug Humphrey · 5 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hello all, putting together tools to start building again, but never worked with PE. Have been seeing clips on youtube of guys working with PE block tools, have found a lot of different ones but notice some are made from plastic, others from metal. Is there any preferences or pitfalls with either? Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Dough, here is a picture of my self-made PE bending tool. I use short metal ruler and a steel coupler connected by two wingnut bolts at 4mm. This work perfectly if you use a standard issue blade to bend in the desired angle once you clamped the PE. I personally found the PE tools very expensive for what they can add to this actually. For this combination I paid maybe 5 EUR on parts. I also occasionally use a flat-beaked set of pliers to bend PE parts out of hand.

Hope this helps!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is what I use, from here...http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?manufacturers_id=51&osCsid=nih01edqvg7ir1427eq59c4gv7

Its small, 90mm/3.5" x 60mm/2.36" but I don't need to bend anything bigger. It is reversible. I'm closing in on retirement in a few years so I'm buying as many tools as I can now when I can afford it. I just bought a very fine P.E. saw set. This is a Godsend for cutting canopies and fine parts from thick sprue trees. Next on my list is a micro punch ser

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 11 months ago:

TY guys. The opinions help. Really liked the idea of the ruler on the one you made, Michel. Found a bunch of other tools on the umm-usa.com website, as well, just need to figure out which route to go.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Doug, don't rule out the try-before-you-buy plan with some flat nosed pliers you may have around already, like Michel mentioned. I use an assortment of tweezers to do my PE work, and while not really optimal perhaps, result's are satisfactory. I'm all for having the right tools for the job, but I'd also say understand the job and what it entails, and then you'll have a better idea of whether this tool is something you really need. That said, I plan on making myself a bender tool at some point, mainly for more consistently square, perpendicular bends on ship railings. I'm sure they are very useful, but also seemingly way overpriced.

Just my $0.02.