Paint Fail - Thrice!

Started by Tim New · 16 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tim New said 2 years ago:

Third time unlucky ...
    This time, Halfords grey matt primer (spray can) and then Revell acrylic silver (airbrush 50/50 mix).
    Why (oh why!) will the silver paint spray on nicely in some areas and not in others - espcially trailing edges?
    Thanks again - I'm starting to look at a space on the shelf of doom.
    ... and getting a nice big submarine model - they look easy (!).

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Good day, Tim @tdmnew
    Although I can imagine that your day doesn't feel that great because of this paint result.
    Unfortunately I'm not a paint expert, but could it be that maybe your paint is still on the thick side when you apply it.
    Have you tried to spray it on using extreme thin layers, let it dry and so on.
    I assume that the primer did look correct all over the wing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Hi Tim @tdmnew!
    The primer does not seem to be the issue.
    I agree with @johnb : looks like you tried to apply too much paint at once?
    Also, you might find other paint brands suiting your style better. I am not into acrylics, but many Great Guys here might provide you useful advice.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 2 years ago:

Tim, I agree that your paint looks too thick, but acrylic usually splatters when too thick if it sprays at all. How thoroughly did you mix the paint (or mix paint and thinner/water) before trying to spray? It looks like you're getting some separation from not mixing enough.

I'd thin more to a milk-like consistency, remix being sure all elements are thoroughly incorporated, and check by spraying on a piece of scrap plastic or a piece of plain white plastic sheet.

I doubt there's any of us who haven't had a day when the paint just won't behave like it did the day before!

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

I have had issues with Revell silver too. It keeps clogging in my airbrush. Itโ€™s just a really difficult color to spray due to its consistency. Maybe try another brand? Humbrol 11 works much better (but doesnโ€™t look as metallic).

• Profile Photo

Very many thanks to all of you who have given me these helpful suggestions. I will, one at a time, try all suggestions - it certainly seems as if my spray technique/mixing is at fault. As I think about it, I have a very good airbrush (Iwata Eclipse), but what must be the cheapest, crappiest, most noisy and cumbersome compressor in the whole world. So, before I do anything, I think I'll buy a good quality, highly controllable compressor - any suggestions from you good people? Thanks very much indeed again. Tim

• Profile Photo

Though it is not a bad idea to invest at a good compressor, the compressor itself , as long as it can deliver a stable pressure, should not be your main concern at the moment, my friend @tdmnew! First experiment with the other aspects and then you can move to a better compressor.

• Profile Photo

Okay Spiros - that sounds sensible. I will eventually have to get a new compressor as the one I have trundles across the floor when active. This makes my dog (Mylo) attack it and before I know where I am, I'm surrounded by a barking dog, tubes, and hissing air. Then my wife tells me off for making the dog bark and then the other dog (a black Labador) joins in. All hell let's loose, and still the paint runs on the leading and trailing edges of the DC - 3. No one told me this would be part of returning to the modelling hobby! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

No worries, my friend @tdmnew : my compressor wakes up the whole neighborhood... ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

@tdmnew, I always thought modelling was a relaxing hobby, but when I read the exitement you have during airbrushing, it doesn't seem to be that relaxing at all ๐Ÿ™‚
    I agree on Spiros' @fiveten proposal to first try the given ideas before investing in new equipment.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 2 years ago:

Tim, I use an older version of Paasche D500SR 1/5 HP Compressor with Regulator and Moisture Trap that I bought on Amazon (USA). This compressor is very quiet, doesn't walk the floor, and is even quieter and more stationary on the small rubber-backed pad I've placed under it. It takes up very little floor space, and none of our four dogs (3 now deceased) have ever shown the slightest interest in its operation, though two have come in the room and settled in for a nap. It does not have a tank, but the regulator works well, so it seldom kicks on unless I'm actually spraying, whence it runs almost continuously while actually spraying. Its only problem is that, running continuously, it will overheat and go into auto-shut-off if I don't pause every so often when spraying a single color on a large model. Stopping for a few seconds now and then allows it to cool sufficiently. Spending more and getting a tank will, of course, eliminate that problem, but you risk losing floor space and having more noise. Another minor concern is that the water trap has to be emptied manually in humid weather, as the trap (on my older model) has no auto shut-off. HTH

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years ago:

I think of those old Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller, "Silver be Bad" . "Bad silver." My kingdom for a good silver. Another thing that can go wrong is the air pressure. At what PSI our you spraying? Humidity in the air and all of the after mentioned prognoses. If your into the hobby long term. . . as mentioned above a good air compressor is a good investment.

The good news, is that you have a good companion who smiles.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years ago:

The paint is too thick and the Revell paint is not what you want. Look around eBay and the net for Vallejo Metallics. Vastly superior, mixed "airbrush ready." Mist the paint on in multiple passes, slowly. You'll get the result you want.

• Profile Photo

Thanks yet again everyone. Good question on the pressure, I think it changes, albeit marginally as I spray and the only way to change pressure is to loosen the connector valve at the air outlet (? 'thing', 'nozzle', 'teat' (ooer!). I don't want to test you great guy's goodwill, but my mind wonders why the paint applies nicely all over these very large (1/48 DC - 3) wings, but buggers right up at the ends and leading/trailing edges of them? I spray evenly and gently - would it help if I were to tell you that I can see it 'fouling' in those areas as soon as I begin to spray?

To pique your interest in this project (maybe?), attached, another 'photo showing the fuselage, nicely primed and masked and also with the interior lights I fitted on (LED's) on. I have spent a huge amount of time detailing the interior, which was already very well detailed by Trumpeter and even added silk seat - back coverings to the individual seats and the Chinese symbol for 'Fly' on bulkheads (I know! - but why not?). Mylo got his mug in the shot as usual.

Anyway, to summarise, I've been at this model since December 25th (the day one of my sons gave me my 'big present') and everything else has gone really well - even to the extent that I thought this might actually be worth posting on this site as my first 'showable' model.

So, your interest and help has been/is invaluable to me and IF the model makes it onto this site, John, Spiros, Felix, Christopher, Tom - I will credit each and every one of you.

Thanks again

Tim

• Profile Photo

Oh, and to underline my inherrent idiocy and low IQ, you will note the interior LED's tend not to show up too well when all the transparencies are masked. (Doh!).