Peddinghaus decals with missing color information

Started by Felix · 24 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

I recently bought this nice set of decals for the Airfix Zero in 72nd scale. Unfortunately, there are no color charts. Being a newbie i have looked at all the very interesting threads regarding colors of the japanese planes of WWII in this forum but now i am a bit overwhelmed. If i read and understood correctly, no Zero was painted in such a glossy white.

I have J3 Hai-Iro Grey and J3 Amber Grey, both from AK colours. I also have IJN Ash Grey from Ammo Mig. Could one of them work? I also have this other nice set of decals from Techmod, as seen in image 2: There, the underside is just called IJN Grey...any guess to what would be most appropriate?
    Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who could fill me in!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Always good to see another Zero, Felix @fxrob
    There is indeed a lot of intormation about the camo color of a Zero.
    What I used recently on mine is IJA Light Gray Green from Vallejo 71.321.
    It looks very close to rhe ones you show on the second picture.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years ago:

Very good is mixture of C336 and C60 from Mr color.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years ago:

I used Real Colours J3 amber grey 50% + RC white 40% + 10% radome tan on mine.
    AK J3 is too greenish as it comes

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Dear John @johnb, thank you very much for your quick answer and extensive help. So you agree that it is too white?

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

@Lis thank you! I saw your Eduard Zero, a beautiful build!

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Dear Pedro L. Rocha @holzhamer , thanks a lot for the helpful insight!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Hi my friend @fxrob!

Here are the Hasegawa instructions on the Q-122...

...where they state that the plane was IJN gray (Hasegawa states it as "Green (Mitsubishi)" at the instructions, but, trust me, it is IJN Gray 🙂 Hasegawa recommends Gunze H-61... ...or Mr Color 35... which are "neutral", not too "greenish".

I have no experience on the three colors you have (AK and MIG), but I would choose the less greenish one, let's say, the one that comes closer to the above Gunze or Mr Color ones.

Looking forward to see your job!

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Dear Spiros @fiveten, thank you so much for your support! The documents and the photos are a great help. Cannot wait to get started now! It is really interesting to see how much all these IJN colors differ, just from one brand to the other while bearing the same name (JIN 3, eg).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Yes, it is true that the "IJN Gray" discussion is a very long one, friend @fxrob!

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Yeah, but your images were very helpful, @fiveten! While that white color suits the elegant shape of the Zero very well, it just is not quite the right color.

• Felix,

those who had access to original Zero Parts mention the Amei-ro as close to FS 26350/24201.

Hope this may be useful.

All the best,

Marcus

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years ago:

Dear Marcus / @mvtb, thanks for those numbers, i will look into that! Eager to see what they are like!

• Felix,they are a range,and you can use Gunze H70,Gunze "Hemp" (forgot the code,H something) or even 1:1 of both.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

@fxrob, with all the information you did receive, I'm eagerly looking forward to your build.