Need some help identifying a model...HMS Belfast

Started by Jaime Carreon · 8 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A few weeks ago, a fellow club member posted that he had some ship models he wanted to give away, and that one of them was fairly large. With the thought of converting it to RC, and thinking it was a large plastic model, I bit and went to pick it up. It turned out to be a little more than I expected. This is HMS Belfast, a British light cruiser that served in WWII and Korea and is now a museum ship in London. Not a plastic kit by a long shot - the model is just shy of six feet long and looks like it could be a museum build. A lot of internet searching turned up a lot of nothing on ship models this size, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Is this a kit or a custom build? And there are quite a few small deck fittings, some life rafts, the port anchor and all four screws missing - where does one find replacement parts like that? Any help would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it, but the RC conversion is no longer an option.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

More pics...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

That looks like a really well-done ship, Jaime (@jetmex). I have some RC boats in my past, but nothing like this. It could be either a scratchbuilt model or done from a kit. If it is close to 6 feet, then I think it might be in a scale around 1/100, which would be a scale used in in Europe, or perhaps South/Central America. The US would probably use 1/96. I did a quick search and found a model by a company called Graupner, but is fully built from the manufacturer. I can tell you from experience that radio control boats are a really deep rabbit hole to jump down, and they will suck you in before you realize it.

Here are some sites that might help:

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-tag/h-m-s-belfast-1150/
    https://www.harbormodels.com/kits.html

Welcome
    Home
    Home
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Wow! This is impressive, my friend @jetmex! Wish I could provide some help, all I could do is net search, which came to no fruition.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Sorry of not being able to help here, Jaime @jetmex, but this vessel is really impressive and good looking.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This does look like a museum model. It's definitely not a kit. Probably everything on it was built for it - it's a big "scratchbuild." If you're going to replace lost parts all you can do is copy other parts on that kit. Unlikely there is anything you can go buy. Looking closer at it, it's something that was built to be inside a glass case and not examined closely. There are quire a few items (like the Walrus) that are terrifically inaccurate and not particularly detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

That model in the video must be doing a scale 60 knots! 🙂

• Profile Photo

I agree it was probably a museum model at some time. The plan is to donate back to a museum if I can find one that wants it. There are several within reasonable distance of here. If she ends up remaining an orphan, I'll just patch her up and keep her. Not sure where yet, wife is not willing to give up her fireplace mantle...:-)

The smaller guns are all white metal, so I suspect someone out there sells items like that. The props and the anchor would be the big things to come up with.