Revell 1:72 WW2 German fast attack craft S-100 Class

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 37 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Ahoy fellow nautical builders, this is my first nautical venture since my mid teens when I built the Bismark & Graf Spee in the mid 80's. Can't remember the scale or make (probably airfix or matchbox), but that is not the topic of this build.

I am intending to make this an out of the box build (famous last words) as I went to town on my last build.

Till next time!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A great choice, Gavin @snowman
    Looking forward to see this Schnellboot being assembled.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A great entry indeed, my friend @snowman!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Well, I have been tinkering some, yes there is flash, but hey, this is probably quite an old kit anyhow, so why complain?

Initially, I started small with the stand and some bits, then I had a swing at the hull. Boy, even though this is braille scale, this pretty big for a darn torpedo boat! Needed some clamping, though…

Colour me impressed, the detail of the moulded parts and sub assemblies is pretty impressive, considering this is 1/72 (Braille) scale.

I have been scratching my head somewhat working out a process to paint and assemble this beauty, but I am getting there.

This is turning out to be quite a fun build thus far.

Thanks for watching! :vulcan_salute:t3:

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Very cool, Gavin (@snowman). I don't build a lot of ships, but I have been a big fan of PT Boats, S Boats, and the like since I saw the movie "They Were Expendable" many years ago with John Wayne. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

She looks quite big indeed, Gavin @snowman
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

It’s easy to forget just how big ships are even in 1/72 scale, Gavin @snowman, it’s certainly very different to the Ducati, looking forward to following your progress, I guess you’re going to need a fair amount of grey paint.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice steps, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Yeah, George! This will require a bit more than usual, similar to a semi trailer I did a while back. At 19" long that too took quite a bit of paint.

To date that was the biggest kit I have ever built!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Back the S-100, I have been diligently working in the back ground and manage to put down some colour and started the bridge where I came across on oddity.

There is a cut out in the upper deck and a recess in the rear bulkhead. Is this meant to a door of sorts or should it have been a cut out?

Till next time while I ponder this question.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The other image will not load. That is inconvenient. Even changing format doesn't work... must be corrupted somehow?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice progress, Gavin @snowman
    There seems to be an issue with uploading pictures. Your picture is not likely to be corrupted. For me rotating a picture does sometimes help to upload it (yes, it sounds strange).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @snowman!

• Profile Photo

Well, it turns out there is a sliding hatch for the opening…oops.

Managed to put down some more paint today.

Next I need to paint the props, then mount them and the main rudder. Afterwhich I will seal with a gloss coat. Just need to decide if I’m going to use MrMetal brass or Vallejo’s brass.

Thats all for now, thanks for watching. :wave:

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice paintwork and very straight indeed, Gavin @snowman