Formula One Cars in Urgent Need of a Scale Model

Started by Johannes Gerl · 22 · 7 months ago · 1/20, Formula 1, wish list
  • Profile Photo
    steve wright said 6 years, 7 months ago:

This is my most treasured model it is the Tamiya team lotus 72d it has Emerson Fititipaldi no 1 1/12 scale took me nearly 20 years to track one down due to the price and rarity and its the type of kit that my father and I built but never got to paint it to a quality standard the paints I used are mainly AK extreme metalics and alclad 2 and the decals are import from Italy I do have pics of the the build its an incredible kit to do very fiddly

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I remember building this kit back in the seventies, not sure which house move it got lost in, wish I still had it now...

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I like car kits, and have a couple awaiting me, mostly 1/24 kits ranging from a Fujimi 427 AC Cobra, Nissan 240ZX works, a Mazda RX3 Savanna to a slammed Datsun Pick-up. I also have a 1/12 motorcycle kit or two (Ducatti 1199; Konica Minolta Honda RC211V & Mick Hailwood Ducati) in there as well, plus a 1/12 Nissan (Datsun) 240ZX from Tamiya.
    But, as such I have never built a F1 racing car. The closest I got to a racing car is the Cole Trickle "Days of Thunder" stock car, a Nissan Skyline GR32 racing car, oh yes and a Lancia Stratos rally car.

Maybe one day I'll buy one, who knows?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Lancia Stratos, now you’re talking, I can actually fit in one of those, not so sure about my driving skills these days though.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Fitzmaurice said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

I’m a bit late to the party, but I would love to see a kit of the amazing home-built motorcycle that took on Ducati and beat them. The Britten V1000. I believe there was a white metal kit of this but all remaining stock was destroyed (by fire or earthquake). A 1:12 kit would be amazing.

If you can find it, and you’re a bike fan, have a watch of “One Man’s Dream”. John Britten was an amazing man, and died way too soon.

As for cars, 1/24 would be fine:

BAC Mono

McLaren F1 road car (the Fujimi one is not very good)

Lotus Elise S1

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Back to F1 kits, Meng have recently released a new tool McLaren MP 4/4 in 1/12 scale, which is on my Christmas list, and Tamiya have re-released their 1/12 Lotus 72D with some updates. Both of these kits need after market tobacco sponsor transfers though.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great news, my friend @chinesegeorge!