1/24 SE5a

Started by IAN Convey · 45 · 10 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 1 month ago:

I started this kit back in April and from the very start realised that it had many problems with it. The fit of all parts was good and the moulding was ok, but the detail and mistakes just kept occurring as I got into it. Its supposed to be an SE5a but it has a 4 bladed SE5 prop.. the engine prop. shaft comes out in the SE5 geared engine position ( Box art shows the correct SE5a position,) the undercarriage is the early steel tube SE5 type instead of the wood re-enforce SE5a and decals are for post war SE5a A/C.

So on with the build, I decided to just build it and modify as I went .

pic2. 3 &4 cockpit, firstly the seat is wrong, should have changed it but may be a pilot changed it to suit himself? Fitted some seat belts that I had in my spares. Did fit a head rest though. The machine gun don't look like a Vickers but I left it because it is hidden. The rudder bar was hand made, control cables fitted and frame rigged where it can be seen.

pic5 &6 The wings and elevators were made in 2 pieces each side . This made it easier to install inspection windows as per the actual A/C . I cut out the moulded windows and installed pulleys and cables (.3mm copper wire ) with clear plastic windows to all 6. pic6 shows shading before last coat of green.

pic7&8 Fuselage assembly , cut out moulded instrument light window forward of cockpit starboard side and fitted clear plastic window. Used the early model undercarriage, was going to make later model one but got lazy.

pic. 9&10 and so the rigging, the kit comes with PE rigging, but I found it impossible to get tension on it so used Modelkasten .2mm.

pic.11 -15 Cut the prop. didn't like the 4 blade, yes the geared engines had 4 blades but I didn.t like it. Fitted a rear view mirror and the RAF decals supplied, trigger cable for the Lewis gun and a single magazine to the gun. The magazine supplied was a twin side by side, which if you know how a Lewis works would know that twin magazines would not work.

Final pic16 &17 had it sitting on a cupboard beneath some storage shelves in the garage, a bag of cleaning rags fell down and knocked it to the ground , thus the wreck.

I guess most modellers have had their disasters, this is mine. It is salvageable but will have to wait, I guess I will fix those errors then.

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 1 month ago:

Looking good Ian - despite the trials and tribulations!
    Given the quality of the original, I am sure the reconstruction will do it justice!
    Best of Luck

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent nob, super result, my friend @firelockg!
    What a mishap to be attacked by falling rags! Looking forward to see her put back together.

• Profile Photo

Spiros & David, it shall be rebuilt, but I will modify it to represent an SE5a on active service circa 1918. which means modifying the undercarriage, moving the prop. shaft to the middle of the radiator and new decals.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

A real pain to see this happening, Ian @firelockg
    I'm sure you will get it rebuild the way you want it.

• Profile Photo

My fault John, I should have left it on the modelling bench , bag would have missed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Nice work, Ian (@firelockg). Sorry your bag of rags zeroed in on the model. It was probably the Red Baron that pushed the bag off the shelf.

• Profile Photo

Curse the Red Baron George.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)

I immediately thought of this Peanuts cartoon with Snoopy flying his dog house when I heard you say "Curse the Red Baron".

I also want to thank you for starting this build journal.

Sorry to hear the bag of rags hit your SE. I had no idea they made one in 1/24 scale. That sounds like a good sized model. The SE will look even better when you get it back together. Do you what markings you will be using on the rebuild ?

• Profile Photo

Louis, I am an old peanuts fan too.
    Have decided to put the SE5a back together in the markings of James Mc Cubben or Edward Mannock, although Mc Cubben's SE5 was much modified by him. More research required.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@firelockg A real labour of love - the original looked pretty decent given the kit! The deficiencies you've detailed take this to expert level. Love it!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Paul, have started the rebuild, bottom wings back on, tailplane minus elevators back on and the undercart modified to SE5a late type. Shall have to pin all struts as they snapped off level all round, oh well more fun.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Although it did take a trip to the floor, Ian (@firelockg), it looks like you will be able to recover from the damage. It is looking much better already.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Good start of the repair, Ian @firelockg

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

George & John, It is quite repairable, the problem will be matching the paint work, have ran out of the original olive ,hope the new bottle matches, if not complete paint job, not looking forward to that.