1/24 SE5a

Started by IAN Convey · 45 · 15 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Struts repaired and repositioned, interplane struts rigging left on, monofilament so no stretch. new radiator filler and cap fitted. I think I shall paint the roundels next, so have to make some masks, another fun job?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Great progress Ian@firelockg - a tribute to the quality of the original build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

You're progressing nicely with this repair, Ian @firelockg

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

David & John, slowly but surely , am a bit worried about the cabane struts holding when the top wing is fitted.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

IAN Convey (@firelockg)
    You have made some good progress since I have checked last. It is really shaping up !

Hopefully the pins will be strong enough to hold everything together.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Excellent progress on this save, my friend @firelockg!

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Louis & Spiros, I want to get the paint work right before the top wing goes on, saves allot of masking .

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Have made and fitted the undercarriage, it is now of the later re-enforced SE5a type. Have glued and pinned the interplane struts to both wings , now for the cabane struts to be fixed into position.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Those repairs are coming together perfectly, Ian @firelockg
    She will look like a first build once done.

• Profile Photo

Yes John, it is going back together rather well, I was lucky most of the breaks were on joint seams, the under carriage was the worst wreck along with the cabane struts.

• Profile Photo

A question for the history buffs, what was the squadron emblem for 74 sqd. and 85 sqd.in 1918, as I think I shall finish the SE5a in Edward Mannock's livery. I found some info that one of these squadrons emblem was a hexagon just behind the fuselage roundel, but I don't know if it was solid or just outlined. Anyone have any ideas?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Looks excellent, my friend @firelockg! By all means not a history buff, by netting I found that the hexagon emblem was this...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Ian,
    You are certainly not wasting time with fixing this one up ! It looks great too.

Spiros is spot on with his pictures of 85 Squadron SE’s.

I found this illustration of Mannock’s SE and a picture of one of the actual planes that served in 74 Squadron. Both of these two were 74 Squadron aircraft.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep it going. You’re getting closer.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros, I must have been having a " seniors moment " when I googled it as I didn't ask the correct question.

• Profile Photo
    IAN Convey said 2 weeks ago:

Louis, I have decided to go with the 74 squadron livery, as per the drawing you posted. It has the A/C serial No. and Mannock's "A" sign , also its easier to mask up to paint the white bars than a bloody hexagon.
    The photo of the actual SE5a in 74 SQD. is fantastic, shows lots of mud , wrinkles and wear and tear. No wonder the A/C wore out quickly. Shall keep that photo for reference, thanks.